Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Just bought a cbr600rr 03 and the seller told me I had to change the battery ! I changed it last week ! I never touch the bike since, and today I took it. It starts great..did a 15 minutes run and come back home... I wanted to change the clock but my buttons doesn't seem to work...so I had the idea to re-start the engine... and the battery was dead... battery is new and 15 minutes before everything was alright... can it be my anti-theft system that drain the battery ?

It has a Merlin 2000

help me... im sure it is not normal that the battery was draining like that ... :ponder:

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
charge it up.. disconnect the alarm, and let it sit over night then try to start it.

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
Alarms are pron to suck battery juice and for bike batteries it would not take much to kill the battery even a short test for new Hid lights or a new set of turn signals without the engine running will drain the battery dry i would follow crash's advice and see what happens

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok... for trying to set up my clock.. I let it at ON without the engine running during like 10 minutes... is it too much ?

and I know nothing about alarm... :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and I put the old battery that I let on charge since a replaced it by the new one and it start at the frist time ! ....

so my 2 choices are .. battery get drain by something OR I let my bike on ''ON'' for changing clock too much longer !

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
10 minutes does not seem long but its possible that the battery was not fully charged to begin with so that with the clock test might have finished it off .

Your clock might not reset if the 2 white buttons that are below the 2 rubber black push buttons have gotten loose from their mounting points within the cluster itself .

This problem was & is a common issue with the 03 to 06 RR's if nothing is blinking when the Black adjust and reset buttons are held down then what i stated above has taken place if it fixable yes it is very easy to fix

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright thank you ! because I had the new battery in the bike since... maybe 2-3 weeks and before my 15 minutes ride , the bike starts like a charm ! .... if alarm system was drainning my battery then after 2-3 weeks of non-used it would be drain no ?

do you have a DIY for the 2 cluster bottons ?

sorry for my poor english !

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
Do not worry about your English you are doing great so far i would not throw away the old battery get it charged up then take it to an auto parts store and ask them to load test it that will prove its either good or dead after all

As far as the cluster buttons i need to know first did you notice any blinking going on when you pushed the black rubber buttons or not ? If not then you need to remove the black buttons and tell me if you see any white buttons sticking in these holes or not ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright thank you so much moeman...i'll check this DIY !

I took a reading of my charge system... at 3 000 rpm the battery shows 13,86volt ! so my charge system is OK. after 2-3 weeks without taking it...if the alarm system was the problem... I couldn't start it ! ...so im pretty sure it was my 10 minutes ON with light without the engine running... will see ! I will waiting about my battery to get full charge !

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
Any time man always my pleasure

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Ya I say you have a short somewhere... Likely caused by the alarm

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what makes you say that?

and moeman .... I just remember something...when I change my battery... I never put a charger on it before like it was said on the sticker on the battery ! I put the battery in my bike just to make sure everything was alright and since I never put it on the charger...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont think so... because it was parked like 3 weeks and it starts like a charm... if I had a short somewhere my battery would be down....

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Not likely to be caused by the alarm...

When you left the bike on for 10 mins, you can't forget that the headlights would have been on as well - this is what drained your battery, and there is nothing surprising or abnormal about that.

Your bike is fine, your alarm is fine, your battery is fine (once it has been charged). Just remember that the headlights come on when you turn the key on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
great ! I charged my battery last night and will put it on the bike! hope it goes well ! thank you

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so after a 2 hours ride ! and multiple stop and start ! starting is good !... so thanks everyone !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts