Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery has been acting funny lately. Sometimes when I go to start the bike, the battery will die and the bike wont start. Other times it starts right up with no problem. It's been a pain, because I have to keep push starting it. I'm not sure if I should buy another battery, because of how it works sometimes and other times it doesnt. Any ideas of the cause of this?

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Check the battery terminals make sure they are tight
if they are and the battery still acts that way take it
off the bike and get it load tested at any auto parts
store such as pep boys , auto zone with that test
you will know if the battery is good or not

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just had to replace mine, wouldn't hold a charge. If you have to buy one you can find great deals on E..., 40 shipped for mine brand new

K

·
0 Posts
I'm leaning twords bad battery connection. This doesn't sound like a defective battery at all. we need some more information.

"Sometimes when I go to start the bike, the battery will die and the bike wont start."

Does this mean that the starter tries to crank the enigne before it dies out, or does this mean there is no power to the bike at all? or, does this mean that there is power to the bike like normal, but when you hit the starter button all electronics power off until you release the starter button...

I suggest doing exactly as MoeMan suggested. What he means by, "Check the connections" he means remove them, clean the holy bejeebus out of the contact, the connector, and the fastener so that you are getting a solid metal on metal connection. this means the battery teminals, the solenoid connections, the starter, and the grounding strap.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is power to the bike like normal, but when you hit the starter button all electronics power off until you release the starter button.

I'll check the connections for now.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not sure what you mean. But when it does start, it is fast and normal. When it does not start, it cranks like once and dies.

It seems when I go on short trips and turn the bike off, it will not start. But on longer trips, if I turn it off, it will start right up.

K

·
0 Posts
Im not sure what you mean. But when it does start, it is fast and normal. When it does not start, it cranks like once and dies.

It seems when I go on short trips and turn the bike off, it will not start. But on longer trips, if I turn it off, it will start right up.
So you can reproduce the problem? What year is the bike? Where do you live? How long of a ride long? How short is short? What's your Average Short Speed? What's your average Long trip speed? DO you suffer from stop and go traffic or crawling pace such as 10 MPH splitting though traffic?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Funny, I getting a similar problem and its getting worse.....LOL
My bike (05RR) firered right up, but it felt fun, when I got up the street it die at the stop sign. Then it wouldn't start...The gauge lights flickered when I hit the start button. I started to notice this a couple weeks ago when out of the blue my bike wouldn't start here and there. Then my signal lights stop working but the fuse is good....I put a good battery in her tonight from another bike and charged it....so I will see if its the battery or a short in the electrial wireing..The later might be the signal problem....
Troubleshooting time..........................................................................

K

·
0 Posts
@ cortayack:

i don't understand why you threw a battery at the problem and are going to wait until that fails to troubleshoot. obviously something is wrong with the charging system. it would behoove you to inspect your system NOW before it damages the battery AGAIN.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Like Knight says its very possible that the rectifier / regulator
is over charging your battery ie killing battery cells and this
will keep on regradless of having a new battery or not

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the same problem as cortyack awhile ago, and it ended up just being the connection was bad.

I can't really reproduce the problem, because its random. But it seems as though it happens on short trips more often.

The bike is an 05', I live in FL, A longer ride would be when I go to class, which is 20 miles.. it has not happened at school yet. A short ride would be like 5 miles. But then again, I have gone over 20 miles, and it didnt start up so I'm not sure. The longer trips, I tend to go faster. Shorter trips would have traffic lights.

I read something on this board that said if your going over 5k the battery is charging? Maybe that has something to do with it.

K

·
0 Posts
I read something on this board that said if your going over 5k the battery is charging? Maybe that has something to do with it.
No, it's got nothing to do with it. It's complete bullsiht. if the engine is running, then it should be charging the battery. the 5000 RPM is where the voltage supply sample is taken to determine the state of the Voltage Regulator.

I want you to renew your connections first. if the issue persists, i want you to test the charging system. Don't throw parts at it until you have a peice that's out of specification.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Where do you check the charging system (stator) at???? BAttery right...So I should get 12.5 to 13.5 volts across the battery when its on right???

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
@ cortayack:

i don't understand why you threw a battery at the problem and are going to wait until that fails to troubleshoot. obviously something is wrong with the charging system. it would behoove you to inspect your system NOW before it damages the battery AGAIN.
My battery in my 05 is older, so it might be going bad...I don't have time to take it to the auto store, so the quick fix was to see what the other battery would do....But I needed to charge it over night...So before I went to work I checked out the bike. It firered right up but something was funny. I let it run and it end up dieing.. I tried to start it again and nothing. So I was not riding in to work this morning...Jumped in the cage and went to work....So now the troubleshooting begins!!!

Sorry if I jacked this thread!!!!!!:toothy12:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
you check the stator by determining resistance via the three wires coming out of them. use this diagram to aid in your maintenance.

http://webpages.charter.net/knightslugger/CSA.pdf

don't say i never gave you nothin.
You have gave me nothing..........:sad11:
Now, you don't think I wasn't going to say it...............:toothy12:

Thanks knightslugger, that diagram will come in handy, forgot my MM at work, so tomorrow I will check it...............

Do you know where the signal relay is by chance????

1 - 20 of 28 Posts