Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been searching this forum for this topic and it seems to come up a lot. i have a 2006 600rr bought it new, stock except for an akrapovic slip-on exhaust, and my battery won't hold a charge to save my life. im just curious to know how many other people out there have this same problem. is this common for all motorcycles?

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
Its common & in general if the battery wont hold a charge then it means one thing there is a bad cell . Have you got it tested or not if you did then its time to get a new one

K

·
0 Posts
i concur. some batteries can suffer from open cell syndrome from the factory, or from abused owners. stoppies and wheelies are common factors when diagnosing OCS. the battery will read over 12.6 volts when no load is applied to it, but when a load is placed on the battery, a cell's contacts will separate temporarily and the battery on the whole will deliver 10.5 volts or less. the only way to know is by load testing the battery. this can be done at any auto parts store that advertises this service.

K

·
0 Posts
i haven't got it tested yet. if i need to replace the battery is it a waste of $ to take it to the stealership or can i find a local shop to install it. is it easy enough to install myself?
if you can take it out, you can put it in.

remove the seat, remove the strap, unbolt the terminals, remove the battery. that's it.

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
i haven't got it tested yet. if i need to replace the battery is it a waste of $ to take it to the stealership or can i find a local shop to install it. is it easy enough to install myself?

Pull the corners of the driver's seat under each corner
there is an allen head bolt remove them both
be careful not to drop them pull the seat off

Remove the + bolt first then the - bolt
Take the battery to any auto parts store
and ask them to load test it they usually do
the test for free

RonAyers web link
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0426/battery_05/battery_05.cfm?man=ho&groupid=5250&parent=5240

1 - 6 of 6 Posts