1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Words of wisdom, indeed.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If you are riding the street or the track, your investment or money in safety gear should always cost more than your bike. LOL
I have found it to be true that "you get what you pay for" when it comes to Helmet, Gloves, Leathers, Etc...
:wink2:
Bike cost 12k

Gear cost 2.5k for some nice ****

Pretty much impossible to spend more on gear than a new bike unless were talking multiple helmets and suits...

·
BOTM Winner 09/15
1,418 Posts
Pretty much impossible to spend more on gear than a new bike unless were talking multiple helmets and suits...

Very true indeed, but it's easy to have that if you ride all year. At the moment I have a 1pc leathers, 2pc leathers, 2pc GoreTex textiles, summer boots, winter waterproof boots, winter gloves, summer waterproof gloves, leather gloves, separate back protector and two helmets depending if I'm just riding or using the bike for work.

It soon adds up! ?

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
The best gear won't save you if you hit a lamp post at 100km/h unfortunately. :(

My gear consists of:
$150 LS2 helmet
$190 A* SMX-1 boots
$190 A* waterproof fastback boots
$60 Dririder leather gloves
$200 Motodry textile jacket.

The 600 only cost me $1200 though. :p

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
If you buy good stuff its easy to spend 3 or 4 grand on gear. If you buy REALLY good stuff 5 or 6 isn't a problem at all

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,964 Posts
I'm at about $3500 on gear right now. Two helmets, full A*'s gear, and about to buy the GP Tech gloves come spring. Only have one season left in these GP Plus gloves left so I'm going to shove a thermal liner in there, stretch them out, and hope the seams hold through winter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
@shinfo

If you want warm hands you cannot have tight gloves. You need a sizeable air gap to provide the insulation. Putting liners in a leather glove that is sized for you sadly won't make much difference at all

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,964 Posts
@shinfo

If you want warm hands you cannot have tight gloves. You need a sizeable air gap to provide the insulation. Putting liners in a leather glove that is sized for you sadly won't make much difference at all

Yeah I know. I'm gonna give it a shot though. I really don't want to buy a pair of $250 gloves just for 2 months of riding to work.

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good gear definitely saved my bacon last year when I hit dirt at 90km/h and high sided. Since then I've been putting emphasis on wearing proper base layers too cause the leathers can grip a normal cotton t-shirt/underpants and result in a graze.

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Meh. I have a really nice jacket that zips to pants when I need, some good long gloves, a cheap pair of short gloves, a close out helmet [bell star for $250 new what?!?!? lol] and some close out boots too. I don't plan on buying any airbag 1pc suits so spending more then my bike on gear is not possible nor do I ever want it to be unless bikes drop in price massively.

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
In the end the actual cost of the gear has very little to do with how well it protects. I can very easily go out and spend multiple thousands of dollars on nothing but graphics, names and flashy looks, nothing that actually protects me any better than the same stuff in flat, solid colors that cost half as much. And a $100 helmet that fits my head and is comfortable will protect me far better than a $700 carbon fiber helmet that doesn't and falls off.

Quality, fit and what it actually protects is what matters.

In 40 years I've bought exactly 1 piece of gear that wasn't on closeout, used, a demo model, last years design or on sale. I've paid very little for a closet full of gear.

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,964 Posts
In the end the actual cost of the gear has very little to do with how well it protects. I can very easily go out and spend multiple thousands of dollars on nothing but graphics, names and flashy looks, nothing that actually protects me any better than the same stuff in flat, solid colors that cost half as much. And a $100 helmet that fits my head and is comfortable will protect me far better than a $700 carbon fiber helmet that doesn't and falls off.

Quality, fit and what it actually protects is what matters.

In 40 years I've bought exactly 1 piece of gear that wasn't on closeout, used, a demo model, last years design or on sale. I've paid very little for a closet full of gear.

You get what you pay for. If it's a quality product on sale or closeout, that's awesome, but thinking that brands like Bilt or whatever other garbage brand is better than Dainese, Shoei, Arai, etc. is just foolish. Bargain hunting and closeouts are the way to go if you can find what you need/are comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
You get what you pay for.
To a point.

If it's a quality product on sale or closeout, that's awesome, but thinking that brands like Bilt or whatever other garbage brand is better than Dainese, Shoei, Arai, etc. is just foolish. Bargain hunting and closeouts are the way to go if you can find what you need/are comfortable with.

Never did I say a lower cost brand was "better", but I ask for you to define "quality"? Is it Cost? Construction? Name brand?

Take a box of ****, wrap it up nice, slap a fancy label on it, charge out the ass for it and you still have a box of ****. Label and cost mean nothing.

So take the same $800 a person might spend on a top of the line Dainese jacket and I can get a $250 AGVSport leather, a $125 Tourmaster Cortech mesh 3 season jacket, a $150 HJC Snell rated helmet, $75 AGV leather Gloves, a $75 pair of Kevlar jeans, and a $125 of touring waterproof boots.

Who's protected better? If I went down I'll be far happier fully geared than in only a fancy jacket. And I now have a closet full of gear instead of one jacket.

Far too many people don't buy gear because they can't afford top of the line brands, this thread is one of the reasons newbies don't think they can afford gear because people, convince them to only spends lots of money. Any glove is better than no glove; you don't need $350 Helds to protect your hands for instance, is my point.

Bilt? Yeah, it's pretty poor constructed. But for the price, if you have a phobia of used stuff, I say for stuff to start with its not a horrible choice. But I'd highly suggest replacing it as money allows.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
The best gear won't save you if you hit a lamp post at 100km/h unfortunately. :(
Very true.

Good gear is nice, but you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to buy them. A couple thousand bucks worth of quality gear should be good.

I think I spent $12k when I bought my 06RR new; I doubt I'd spend that much on gear.
My advice would be to spend some of your money on trackdays. This will further increase your riding skill, which is more than any amount of gear can give you. :cheers:

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,964 Posts
Very true.

Good gear is nice, but you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to buy them. A couple thousand bucks worth of quality gear should be good.

I think I spent $12k when I bought my 06RR new; I doubt I'd spend that much on gear.

My advice would be to spend some of your money on trackdays. This will further increase your riding skill, which is more than any amount of gear can give you. :cheers:

Most tracks require full leathers. So it's impossible to forego gear in favor of track days.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts