Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short: dropped the oil pan and found a single ball bearing. It was in good condition, and was the diameter the size of a bb/a bit less than the diameter of a pencil eraser (should have measured). I'm trying to figure out where it might be from and what I should do.

My guess is its from the clutch or the gearshift drum. Maybe elsewhere? I think the bearings in the transmission might be too big.

For additional info- it's a 2005 cbr600rr, strictly track bike with 14k miles. im 3rd owner. i do clutchless shifts on track, but at times am a little rough and have have missed shifts. Also found were some thin metallic slivers (4 or 5) kind of needle like. I've had the bike for 2 years and this was the first time i dropped the pan. I know none of this is good news.

Any suggestions for options or what should be done?

·
Registered
77 Posts
have you started the bike since this bearing has been found? if not i wouldnt really suggest it but its kind of hard to know where it could have came from..but if i was you id take the clutch out and check there first

Long story short: dropped the oil pan and found a single ball bearing. It was in good condition, and was the diameter the size of a bb/a bit less than the diameter of a pencil eraser (should have measured). I'm trying to figure out where it might be from and what I should do.

My guess is its from the clutch or the gearshift drum. Maybe elsewhere? I think the bearings in the transmission might be too big.

For additional info- it's a 2005 cbr600rr, strictly track bike with 14k miles. im 3rd owner. i do clutchless shifts on track, but at times am a little rough and have have missed shifts. Also found were some thin metallic slivers (4 or 5) kind of needle like. I've had the bike for 2 years and this was the first time i dropped the pan. I know none of this is good news.

Any suggestions for options or what should be done?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
thereare very few places on our bikes that have free floating that could work there way into your oil pan, get the diameter and cross check that with the bearing sizes associated with our bikes... that will help narrow down where it came from and with give you a direction to head... I honestly would go that route before starting the bike knowing there is a bearing missing from somewhere that could cause more damage once the bike was started.

·
Registered
743 Posts
very interesting...get that sh!t measured and hopefully nico chimes in, he seems to know these bikes like the back of his hand.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
theory: one of the previous owners rebuilt the engine or part thereoff and accidentally left a bearing ball lying in the oil pan when replacing it back onto the engie. its probably been riding along for quite some time. if it came out of a bearing housing, one would think you would have lost that track bike engine by now, or would notice damage on the ball itself, or found more than one ball in the oil pan

conclusion is close her up and pretend it didnt happen. motorcycle problems, like lady problems, goes away if you ignore them.......

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theory: one of the previous owners rebuilt the engine or part thereoff and accidentally left a bearing ball lying in the oil pan when replacing it back onto the engie. its probably been riding along for quite some time. if it came out of a bearing housing, one would think you would have lost that track bike engine by now, or would notice damage on the ball itself, or found more than one ball in the oil pan

conclusion is close her up and pretend it didnt happen. motorcycle problems, like lady problems, goes away if you ignore them.......
id love to ignore this one.

who knows how long the bearing has been in there, i know the bike has been down before though im not sure what it all means. have started the bike up as well and ridden it a little. stupid? maybe. as the season is winding down, this might be some sort of winter project.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Does the guy before you have slipper clutch installed? My stm slipper have 3 bearings (the size of a bb) and it could be from that.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
130 Posts
You could try removing the side covers and pulling off the flywheel and clutch. Might let you see the bearings in the cases. Look for a cracked cage or missing seals. Good luck. Not fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts