Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this may be a stupid question, but I'm drunk and I'm going to ask it anyway.

I've had this tall can of Steel Reserve in the fridge for about 8 months now, and today's the day I decided to drink it. This **** tastes like vodka!!!

So the question is, did the beer mature since it's been sitting in my fridge so long, or am I just a dork?

C

·
0 Posts
I googled this question basically because I was curious too, and I got this off of a website...

"Beer can spoil just like wine. A good reference all all types of food and
beverage mycology questions is: Food and Beverage Mycology, edited by L.
R. Beuchat, New York, NY:Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1987.

Brewers keep equipment clean and sanitary to reduce the level of
contamination in the final product. Beer can also be pasteurized or cold-
filtered to reduce contamination with spoilage microbes.

Beer can be spoiled by bacteria as well as yeast, and depending on the
microbe type, the off-flavors are different.

Most commercial beers will not spoil, but it can be a significant problem
if you brew your own.

Eventually, even commercial beers will begin to taste funny... not from
microbial spoilage but from chemical changes over time."

Oh...by the way...your still a dork, even if you weren't imagining things. ;)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NICE. So the 8.1% alc/vol beer I'm drinking right now could be more than that since it's been sitting in my fridge for the past 8 months?

C

·
0 Posts
I think it was just saying the taste was affected, not the alcohol content, but I'm not sure. Maybe somebody who brews beer can tell us whats up.

H

·
0 Posts
drunk at 4 on a monday.. i do not know whether i should envy you or send you to AA...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Schwing said:
Okay this may be a stupid question, but I'm drunk and I'm going to ask it anyway.

I've had this tall can of Steel Reserve in the fridge for about 8 months now, and today's the day I decided to drink it. This **** tastes like vodka!!!

So the question is, did the beer mature since it's been sitting in my fridge so long, or am I just a dork?
If those are the two choices, then I'm sorry, you're a dork. Now if you boiled that beer and found a way to collect the vapor given off and cool it, then you'd definately have something with some kick.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Sorry, but you're just a dork. The beer can spoil, but the alcohol content cannot get above approximately 12%, same with wine. What happens is when the alcohol content that is produced by the yeast gets too high, it kills the yeast. That is why we have "fortified" wine, ie: mad dog 20/20. It is fortified with extra alcohol because it cannot be as strong as it is naturally.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
I'd bet the can of beer didn't gain any alcohol content, A byproduct of the yeast converting the sugars into alcohol is CO2, the can would have swelled or burst if alcohol was still being generated. It's probably just spoiled or shitty tasting beer to begin with.

H

·
0 Posts
schwing.. now this might come as a shock to you.. but... i think you may have a drinking problem...

the problem is... you are drinking some shitty beer.. :)

H

·
0 Posts
and i consider myself a responsible and moderate drinker...

i finished every beer and i only drink one at a time

:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts