Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
purchase a bike, smash it....and poof! there you go
ha:bootyshak
why do u want a bent/broken frame? and I don't think u would be able to find one with a clear title... . .
well i found an 08 on ebay, but im mainly going for an 03-06. it might be wrong of me but im desperately needing to take care of this situation that plagues my bike.

so when a bike is paid off, wrecked to sh!t, what happens to it? where does the frame and title go?

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
keep an eye on Fleabay. there are parted out frames on there all the time.

a clean title bike is worth more than a salvaged titled bike. i had a buddy toss his down the road when a deer ran out in front of him. bought it back from the insurance company salvaged titled. new clean title frame off Ebay and it was actually worth something again... besides a stunt piece.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wait, you want a damaged frame with a good title? I'm confused.
The only reason I can see is that he has a salvage title bike that he wants to get a clean title for by buying the cheapest garbage frame he can find that still has a clean title, then selling the bike to some unsuspecting person as a clean bike for extra money. (instead of either selling the bike he has as a salvage for less money, or paying extra for an undamaged frame to get the bike a clean title the honest way)

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
The only reason I can see is that he has a salvage title bike that he wants to get a clean title for by buying the cheapest garbage frame he can find that still has a clean title, then selling the bike to some unsuspecting person as a clean bike for extra money. (instead of either selling the bike he has as a salvage for less money, or paying extra for an undamaged frame to get the bike a clean title the honest way)
if you've ever bought a used bike from a dealer, then you've been hosed. trust me, that's where i work. i'm very picky about my bikes, very. see this pretty little black one in the picture down there. bought it used from MY shop. $5500 for a clean 05 with 2200 miles on it a couple years ago. i went through the bike myself and checked out everything to make sure it had never been down. the original owner assured me it had never been even scratched. a few months ago i sold that bike and the kid layed it down. guess what, the left mid fairing is blue underneath. :cwm21:

it's alot more common than you think, i was just trying to help him in the right direction. i'm not here to judge anyone. for all i know it's his bike and the "salvaged" part of the title is just eatin at him.

·
Registered
455 Posts
if his frame is ok, then why bother swapping them out, all you need is to restamp your old frame. the guys at the DMV will do that for ya for free.

you ever swapped a frame on a 600RR? i'm damn near a pro at it, and it still takes me 4 hours to tear one down.
Ah well if they do re-stamps where you live that's another story. As far as I know, where I live the only way to change the vin is to physically replace the whole frame by either buying a new one from honda that they stamp with your old vin, or buying a different frame and swapping it with your original frame.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys for the help, the dealio is that I have a non-repairable frame. Ive jumped through hoops trying to get it to work, and I had it checked out to find it is perfectly straight. State Farm appraised it as damaged, and any damaged motorcycle frame in the great state of california can never be rebuilt. SUCKS. Im thinking of starting a small claim to get the title reinstated $$ or buying a clear frame $$$ but im looking for a much easier and faster route $.

im NOT looking to sell, Im in love with my 04. I just want to be able to ride it legally, and longer than my 15 minute joyrides around the block :(

G

·
Just buy a frame in good condition. It'll save you money down the long run. I wouldn't trust one of the most important parts of the bike to be broken, just so I could ride legally.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
but its not broken, its in perfect condition. Just the frame slider was damaged from it being laid over, whoever appraised it was retarded. Im thinking of just buying a 1980 clean title frame, stamp on the vin, and be semi-legal... again im not looking to sell it, if anything it will eventually become a track/stuntbike

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.