Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have Boogey Lights on my bike and it seems the average joe battery seems to loose its charge.

The first time i put the battery in (from battery plus) it has that sharp turn over sound, after a long ride i shut it off and goto turn it back on and it doesnt have that sharp turn over sound.. more less like the battery looses charge, but if i let the bike sit for a good half hour it has a better turn over sound.

The charging unit tested fine by the mechanic so i'm thinking im just getting shitty "brand new" batteries. The bike has let me sit once cause the fan was running and a red light and i slipped the clutch too much and stalled (rookie mistake).. the bike went totally dead and i had to clutch start it.

So instead of me getting worried i was wondering what kind of batteries you would suggest.

oh it was also charged by a trickle charger and thats when i got my 2nd batter but its doing the same thing

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Trickle Chargers:

Although they often appear to be a better economic choice for the typical consumer, trickle chargers do not have the advantage of sophisticated electronic control. Therefore, as they allow the value of charge current to trickle down to what appears to be safe levels, the output voltage of the charger rises well above 15 VDC, sometimes even going higher that 16 VDC depending on the charger type and the battery that is connected to it. Either voltage is well above the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. If the battery remains connected to this high level of voltage for an extended period of time, even less than 1 day, extreme damage can be done to the battery.

Exactly which charger are you using and how long are you leaving it connected? Some are a float type and can be left connected.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a float type but i cant recall atm which charger it is.. its a year old charger (got it last year) but the NEW battery has not been on this charger since i got it and its the same symptoms.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Put a battery quick connect on your bike, one comes with the battery tender plus, that way all you need to do when you come home is pop your passenger seat off and plug it in.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats a temp solution, plus the bike is in the shed without power.

My question was ... is there a "better" battery, is this happening due to the battery being junk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts