Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where seems to be the best place to get a set of Q3's right now? I usually order from Rocky Mountain, but some online retailers are hard to find some time.

I have some practically brand new Supercorsas on right now, but the roads around here are way too rough and I'm afraid I will only get 500 miles at best if I leave them on.

I've run PP3s and Q3s before and I like the Q3s better.

However I am open to suggestions to other road tires. I'll for grip over longevity...

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
FWIW - Have had good performance out of Bridgestone s-20's, and their predecessor Bt-016's etc..

(Have bought over 15 of Bridgestone's SS tires over the last 6 yrs)

about same price as q3's.

I get about 2.5 k miles from a rear tire, fronts about 5k.

Compared to the q3's (which give same mileage as s-20's) i like the s-20's way more.

Why?

Bridgestones give more feedback in front, and both f/r are more "informative" about road traction.

the q3's are good, but the s-20's feel "livlier" and as a consequence, I can go a bit faster in corners.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWIW - Have had good performance out of Bridgestone s-20's, and their predecessor Bt-016's etc..

(Have bought over 15 of Bridgestone's SS tires over the last 6 yrs)

about same price as q3's.

I get about 2.5 k miles from a rear tire, fronts about 5k.

Compared to the q3's (which give same mileage as s-20's) i like the s-20's way more.

Why?

Bridgestones give more feedback in front, and both f/r are more "informative" about road traction.

the q3's are good, but the s-20's feel "livlier" and as a consequence, I can go a bit faster in corners.

To be honest, I have always wanted to try the Bridestones. I have heard good things about them such as you speak and I may give them a shot.

My first sets of tires were the PP3's. I ran 36/36 psi on them for the streets and in fact did my first track day at those pressures...:surprise: Granted I wasn't going fast enough for anything to go array, but my second time out I had Q3's on and ran them at 29 psi cold. Much better and I was much faster as well.

However, riding on the street with them on my R6 (which was short lived as I am selling the bike) I could have swore I got the Q3's to break loose in some corners (and I didn't think I was coming in aggresssively). The exit of the corner is where I thought I felt them break 2-3 times....no I was easy coming on the gas too...this could have been because they were cold, but I had been riding for about an hour and on a highway each time I felt this. I also have heard of others complain about the same thing.

This is the most important aspect about the Q3's that makes me want to take your advice and try the S20's...

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I will be trying the Q3's for the first time this spring so I can't offer feedback on the tire itself. Only other tires I have been on had no track purpose ie.. regular Pilot Powers (that's what Michelin says anyway.). But I bought my Q3's within the last month, and was the best deal around, and they shipped real quick as well was Rocky Mountain.

In case anyone wants to know:

Front
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/750/42672/Dunlop-Sportmax-Q3-Radial-Front-Motorcycle-Tire?term=dunlop+q3

Rears
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/750/42675/Dunlop-Sportmax-Q3-Radial-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire?term=dunlop+q3

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Yes I felt the rear q3 go "greasy" for a moment a couple of times, apex/exiting corners.

while not really predictable, it was a side slip of maybe an inch and fun and controllable.

q3's and s20's both worked best @ 30/29psi f/r.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I felt the rear q3 go "greasy" for a moment a couple of times, apex/exiting corners.

while not really predictable, it was a side slip of maybe an inch and fun and controllable.

q3's and s20's both worked best @ 30/29psi f/r.

Indeed. It was more controllable and predictable the second time it happened; still made me a bit nervous, though.

What have you guys run Q3's/ S20's pressure wise on the street? I'd like to run as low as I possibly can, while still retaining decent wear...

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
q3's and s20's both worked best @ 30/29psi f/r. = 2.5k miles for rear, 5kmiles+ front.

Caveat;

these wheels are light and bend easily if running low psi on uneven surfaces....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
q3's and s20's both worked best @ 30/29psi f/r. = 2.5k miles for rear, 5kmiles+ front.

Caveat;

these wheels are light and bend easily if running low psi on uneven surfaces....
So you're saying you run that pressure on the street?

The bike I bought came with Carrazzaria wheels...I was worried about this aspect in the beginning, but the deal I got was really good on her.

The new owner of Carrazzaria told me that he lays down some pretty hard wheelies and he has never bent one, when I asked about durability...

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't know if you have a Cycle Gear nearby, but they had a deal for $250 + tax for a set of new Q3's for our bike. They usually tend to keep them in stock. Dunlop may offer a mail-in rebate if you check in with them.

I have about 2,500 miles on my Q3's and they've served me well with plenty of life remaining still.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've used Q3s and SuperCorsa SP V2. I've suck with the Pirelli and that is all I will run. Q3s are a really good tire for the money and I liked the quick turning V profile. But it didn't stick as good as the SuperCorsa and that's more important to me than tire life and/or cost. Call TJ at riders discount. I think he still has a few SuperCorsa sets left at a great price.

About 3000 miles is all you will get out of a sticky tire. PSI I run 32/30.

---------------------------------

2014 Triumph Daytona 675R 2/22/14 - 8/22/15

2016 Aprilia RSV4 RR 8/29/15 - ???

2006 Honda CBR 600RR Track Only 1/02/16 - ???

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
OP - yes I run 30/29 psi on the street.....which in my case is a rural 2 lane road with good surface and some pavement irregularities.......

Re; "light wheels"......I ride with some "spirit" , if you hit a pavement join maybe a couple of inches in height difference (in a curve/leaned over) you can bend the wheel in its concentric and angular axes.

after 25k miles street riding I had a rear wheel that was "out of true " on all three axes" flatspotted, wobbled and egg shaped....

Frame Man in Sacramento charged $150 to get it round again.....

Never hit potholes or debris, just normal pavement usage.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It seems that once a year or so the manufacturer does a $50 rebate that the retailers usually keep so you can buy the set for $180 shipped.

STG and Motosport have done this in the past. Haven't seen it for a while. 😕

1 - 13 of 13 Posts