Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was wondering... what's the best I can possibly expect to negotiate on 2007 inventory?

If eBay is any indicator, you can do under $8k OTD in regions that are basically frozen over. So in more temperate climates what are people seeing?

Basically I'd move forward with a purchase if I could do maybe under $9k OTD with a local dealership... taking advantage of the model year switchover and the (relatively) crappy weather in SD keeping people out of the show rooms. Otherwise I have no problem waiting several months and just purchase an '08 at OTD Motorsports in the low $9k region.

·
DID has A beard
322 Posts
You should have no problem getting a 07 for 9k out the door. Matter of fact any dealership trying to get you for more than that is really trying to put it to you. It is a year old bike, 08s are out.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Hey Guys,

I was wondering... what's the best I can possibly expect to negotiate on 2007 inventory?

If eBay is any indicator, you can do under $8k OTD in regions that are basically frozen over. So in more temperate climates what are people seeing?

Basically I'd move forward with a purchase if I could do maybe under $9k OTD with a local dealership... taking advantage of the model year switchover and the (relatively) crappy weather in SD keeping people out of the show rooms. Otherwise I have no problem waiting several months and just purchase an '08 at OTD Motorsports in the low $9k region.
If you want to buy a new bike around here for the best price, OTD Motorsports is always gonna be your best bet unless you have the homey hookup somewhere. I found that Long Beach Motorsports is an excellent alternative as well. It does sound like you have it figured out though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hmm... well I went to Fun Bike Center in Kearny Mesa tonight just before closing. The guy on the phone wouldn't quote an OTD but I put it out there "well I'm really looking for no more than $9k. He said "we can work together, come on in". The best he would do was $9,350 on an '07 Red (they had 2, that was their whole '07 inventory). Huge place but they didn't have many Hondas, prolly would have been better to go to a place with at least 5+ on the floor. Not bad though for a place so close.

Honestly it's not exactly a great time for me to get a bike right now, so if I can't save at least a few bills on clearance inventory then I'd rather just wait a few months. I might try a couple more places tomorrow.

EDIT: Just for grins tried OTD again... $9300 black, $9k red. Hmm, they hit my target, but I think I'm gonna wait anyway if I have to get transportation up there.

·
DID has A beard
322 Posts
If you think you might be better off waiting, wait. You are going to get a better deal this time of year, especially on left-over 07s. If it's not a great time to buy it for whatever reasons, you really should wait - no point in getting in over your head for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's not really a hardship (when all is said and done after mortgages/food/bills I have about $3k to play/invest with monthly) - it's just I made a pact with myself I'd 1) sell my SV650 first and 2) wait for my promotion to go thru, which has been holed up in HR for the past few weeks. This bike is sorta a gift to myself for getting the latter so I'd only be jumping the gun a bit to save money, well, just for the principal of it. I'm in no rush. Basically I was telling a buddy how I'm be getting a new bike in the next few mos and he said "dude, if you're gonna get one anyway just get a clearance 2k7 and save some $$". But OTOH, jumping the gun needlessly before getting #1 and #2 is well, going against the principal of it ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ha, you're not helping! Now I saw the FS posted on a red 2k7 in Riverside, 3k miles, 8,100. Now _that_ is tempting. Hmm... OTOH, in a few months there should be more deals like that, maybe better. I'm a software engineer btw, overthink everything to a fault :icon_stud

·
DID has A beard
322 Posts
Actually in a few months come spring time, like Confuscious say says, prices go up. 08s are already out, left over 07 in the middle of winter = the best deals you are gonna find at a dealership

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I actually was about to hop on a train @ noon to LAX and then cab it to Inglewood (about 100 miles away) to deal with OTD.

But before doing that I decided to call around first. If some place could do $100 over OTD's price then I would go for it. IOW, $9100. Called about a half dozen places. Pretty much told $9300-9400 at most places...given alot of crap about how shady OTD is (they're a warehouse, they don't care about riders, they resell crate damaged bikes, etc, they're losing $$ on the deal at that price).

San Diego House of Motorcycles (4876 El Cajon Blvd.) had a different tune. First the guy told me $9200. I said "Well okay, that's something to seriously consider. I'm still going to call around. Then he got back and said "alright, if you come in today and buy the bike, it's $100 over OTD." I say "$9100". "Yep, $9100". Then he kept the conversation going a bit longer and said he still had to run it by the manager but it would be no problem, they've sold $100 over OTD before. I grilled him pretty hard about it, told him I didn't want to miss the train to LA and didn't want to have my time wasted. He assured me he just couldn't guarantee anything over the phone as that was their policy, but if I came in I wouldn't be disappointed. He said if for some reason if the manager said the deal couldn't be done he'd call me back.

So I came in about 45 minutes later. Filled out some paperwork, he wrote down the price. Looks good. Brought it back to the manager. He took my IPhone and showed me some youtube vids of him stunting on his 750, we shot the **** about riding in general, he's upselling how the dealership is part of the rider community and whatnot. I'm beginning to feel this is not gonna go my way. A half hour later he speaks to the manager and comes back. "Dude, I'm sorry, we just can't do it. You're gonna have to take an Amtrack". Thanks a**hole. You just blew my day. So don't deal with these guys. His name was Pete btw.

He's right, I'm done with the local dealers. Haven't read anything adverse about OTD on this forum so they ya go, but it won't be until next weekend now.

·
Registered
460 Posts
given alot of crap about how shady OTD is (they're a warehouse, they don't care about riders, they resell crate damaged bikes, etc, they're losing $$ on the deal at that price).

He's right, I'm done with the local dealers. Haven't read anything adverse about OTD on this forum so they ya go, but it won't be until next weekend now.
Funny he would say OTD doesn't care about riders. Does he really expect you to believe his dealership cares about riders more than others? The only thing any dealer cares about is your money, not you.

I've bought a bike from Mission Motorsports in Mission Viejo and Del Amo Motorsports in Torrance and they were both willing to price match OTD prices.

I think someone on the R6 forum was recently posting about how SD HOM treated him pretty shady as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i know 6 buddies of mine from bakersfield bought are bikes from otd motorsports and havent had a problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts