Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was wondering what gear i should be in when im just cruising around town at different speeds. I usually shift into 3rd when im at 35, but the back pressure between 2nd and 3rd seems to have littke difference when im off the throttle.

I was wondering what everyone else cruises around in at speeds such as 25, 35, 40, and 70?

Im new to street bikes, so maybe its just like this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
well.. everyone has different opinions. but heres a rough idea of what gear i ride in..

around 20-30 2nd
35 3rd or 4th
40+ 4th
highway.. 6th

after i got my two bros slip on i ride an extra gear up to keep the noise down.
i might be wrong.. i don't even know what gear i ride in anymore.. its just all subconscious.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Well for me observe the speed limit in very road your your own safety.
:retard:what?

just listen to the engine and ride, if its getting too loud then shift...everybody has their own opinion where to shift

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 1k, so I keep her around 4-5k unless I'm on the highway just cruising, then it's 6th.

One thing to take into consideration is cager density. The more cagers that are around me, the higher I keep my RPMs, because remember, sometimes stopping isn't the best option for accident avoidance. Sometimes you need that extra torque to get your ass out of the way :ciao:

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there some terminoligy posg i can read? I get cagers now though.

And i usually ride 1st red lined every where cause it sounds cool lidtening to rev limiter kick in :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
local streets its usually 1st and 2nd gear. Highway normally 3rd or 4th gear. Yea I go through gas like crazy, but its a damn spor tbike, I don't care about gas. I always keep my bike in the power band and I love stretching out the gears.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just ride. Im usually in 6th gear by 40. Im more on a conservative though, if you dont need the power of higher rpms then why waste the gas?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Higher RPM's doesn't always mean more gas. I like to keep my revs above 5 at all times because the power is right there when you snap the throttle. I consistently get 40mpg or more, even when I ride a little spirited. The less you open the throttle to get power, usually the less gas you're actually using, this is obviously varied depending on conditions

·
Registered
435 Posts
I use to watch my tach often but not so much anymore. After I got my new exhaust I got use to how loud it got at what RPMs.

I find my self shifting at about 8-9k RMPs in first and 6-7k RMPs in all the other gears.

Usually cruise in 6th gear on all roads 50mph+
Slow city streets I stay in 4th at about 30mph+

Its really personal opinion and how the bike feels for you. Just watch the redline.

·
Registered
145 Posts
agreed. :+1:

I use to watch my tach often but not so much anymore. After I got my new exhaust I got use to how loud it got at what RPMs.

I find my self shifting at about 8-9k RMPs in first and 6-7k RMPs in all the other gears.

Its really personal opinion and how the bike feels for you. Just watch the redline.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts

Id say about the same. 55+ on normal driving on city streets/freeway im in 6th. Lower than that 4th or 5th once I am up to speed and maybe only 3rd in a residential area (25ish).

·
Registered
407 Posts
i think i cruise around 40-45mph at about 3rd or 4th gear. and on freeway cruise at 60-65 at around 6500rpm.hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts