Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy recently picked up a 1990 ZX1100 and I've given it a few rides, mainly on straight roads.

The last few trips we've taken we have swapped bikes. I've logged some decent mileage on the bike and WOW did it EVER make a difference in my abilities on my 09 600rr.

Prior to riding the big ZX1100, my bike felt nimble to me, but it still felt a little difficult to turn in sharper turns, around corners at traffic lights, etc. You could tell I was still nervous as I was so incredibly stiff looking on the bike.

I was always a little nervous about how to control the bike while leaning in lower speed corners and how much I can accelerate coming out of corners.

My 600rr feels like a whole new bike to me and it's capabilities are unbelievable. I had no idea the bike had this much potential.

And no, I'm not nearly pushing the bike anywhere near what most of you may be - but I've definitely taken a step or two forward in my riding abilities & my confidence. I've noticed my chicken strips are shrinking and I am enjoying the backroads much more than usual. I'm not saying to go jump on a big bike for a couple hundred miles and then go back to your RR and give it a beating. What I'm saying is that basic riding (for ME) on a big heavy bike took away those nerves to push my 600rr just a bit more and take the next step in enjoying riding. I haven't a clue of the limits of this bike and feeling the difference between the two bikes gave me that itty bit of confidence to push the bike just a touch harder.

Now I can understand how and why some people will hop on a 600rr, stick that first corner and think they know how to ride; next time throw the bike in there and scrape their face off.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I hear ya, I rode a zx10r and a 1000rr for the past few years, I just recently bought an 08 R6 and its a world of difference now, the power is so easy to control compared to the 1000's as well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the first thing I noticed was how much more predictable and controllable my 600rr was compared to the big fast bike....

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I am still getting use to how nible my 600 feels. I almost want to bunny hop curbs with it to be honest...lol All I have been riding for the past 6 or so years have been 1k+, so it feels like a bmx to me and I feel like a kid again... that's a good thing. :biggrin:

I'm also adapting to hitting sixth a lot sooner than I would on the 900, because of the taller gearing. I may change that, uncertain though.

If you haven't setup your suspension, do so. It also makes a world of difference.

Peace,

Gabe

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I am still getting use to how nible my 600 feels. I almost want to bunny hop curbs with it to be honest..
Peace,

Gabe
Haha i feel the same way with wanting to bunny hop curbs. I actually hopped off one by doing a lil wheelie the other day.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I learned how to ride on a R1, I know how you feel!

next step, read twist of the wrist II and watch that dorky movie. :crackup:

Ride safe, it's easy to become over confident.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
ever since 07, the RR has been the most deceptive bike on the road.

It makes you feel like you "got the hang of it" much faster than you actually did. I got the same feeling when I got mine back in 07. It's actually a very dangerous bike for a new rider.

be careful and keep logging those hours.

be safe

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Trackdays are the best thing to improve your riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts