Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little assistance on a good street tire to get. I recently put Michelin Pilot Powers on my bike and although the performance was great the wore pretty quickly. I put them on in May and I'm already looking to replace them. I put maybe 8000 miles on them if that.

I was told by a few people that pilot powers are a good track tire that can be used on the street. I think I need a tire with more a slant towards street riding then track. Don't get me wrong I love canyon carving when I can I occasionally will speed a little (ok way more then a little bit) when coming back from work late.

But I can't afford to replace tires every 6000-8000 miles. So since it seems pilot powers are the only tire that people tend to want on this site, I want know is out there that will wear a little better for everyday street use. Something that has a little better wear characteristics in the middle of the tire (since thats where the bike see's most of its duties.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
8k is good for a tire. i got about 8k outta the stock dunlops. 8k on pilot powers? real good.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Michelin just put out a dual compound PP. I wonder if that helps the tire last longer? I have 3000 so far on my PP (I only have a rear PP) and it's still going strong. When I purchased it I was warned about it needing to be replaced at about 7000-8000 miles.

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
i have the metzler M3 ant there a great performance tire and from what the rep. from metzler told me is they last 1K to 1500 miles more than the pp

·
Registered
132 Posts
8,000 is really good if you ask me. I only got 4,000 out of my stock Bridgestones, and the Dunflops. I replaced them as soon as I hit the wear indicator in the center. How far are you wearing down the center? I dunno, maybe I just accelerate too hard from stoplights. I'm now trying out Pirelli Diablo's.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Why don't you try the Pilot Roads since they're designed for a little more mileage.

Otherwise, I hear great things about the Meztler (sp?) Z6.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Qualifiers wear just as quick, if not quicker, than the PP's. I have pilot's myself right now and I think if I wanted a more street oriented tire I'd probably run Diablo Strada's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
8,000 miles DAMN!!!
:icon_supe

That is what I said too. I am used to burning up a rear tire on my RC51 every 3,000 miles.

Metzeler Z6
+1

I really liked the Metzeler Z6s when I had them on my ZZR1200. I am waiting to see what I get out of the original Michelin Pilot Sports...

·
Registered
283 Posts
vizsladog44 said:
i think he wants a good tire...:)
What makes you think they're not good? They're new and I haven't seen any reviews yet.

Sides, I gotta defend it since I bought them in that buy rear get front free promotion :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll feel great if I get 3-4k outta my powers.

If the majority of your riding is commuting; try looking into the Pilot Roads or the Metzler Road techs. Any other tire oriented more towards a sport/tour would probably work well for ya.

·
Registered
191 Posts
How can you bash Pirelli as a bad tire is beyond me. Pirelli Diablo's themselves were super great and I am talking about the diablo corsa's. Definatley on par with PP or any of the above mentioned tires. The new Pirelli Diablo Corsa III is definately a better tire than the previous generation tires because of a very simple technological leap, its called dual compound. It is Hard in the middle of the rear tire where most people wear out fast due to mostly non track style riding where you aren't turing every second or so and you go fast and on long straight highways. The plus is that they are soft on the sides where you need that traction and grip. What this leads to is equal wear and tear to compensate for the middle getting worn out to quick and sides not being worn out at all. Your tire will still look round after a lot of abuse. All those haters must realize that Pirelli is probably way ahead of the game with the new compound Diablo Corsa's III. That is why Michelin made PP 2CT.
Stupid Hurts but please don't bash to other people about bad tires when clearly their awsome tires. IF he gets 8000 miles out of his PP then he will surpass that with the Pirelli's. Simple

·
Registered
352 Posts
I got 7k out of my PP rear on my R1, so 8k is definately pretty good.

The pilot powers arent really a track tire that work well on the street...its pretty much the opposite; a performance street tire that works pretty well on the track (depending on how fast you run).

If you want more mileage, try out a dual compound tire like the new PP...im pretty sure (tho not certain) that the Corsa III is using a similar dual compound design as well, so you may want to give those a try.

Ive used the metzler Z6s in the past, and was not happy with them at all. I had them for 500 miles and sold them. you will get more mileage out of a tire like that, but theres a huge difference in performance. If you plan on doing any twisty riding, I would stick with the pilot powers and just suck up the cost of buying tires every 8k miles (again, not that bad) rather than sacrafice performance and replace tires every 10-12k.

A wise man once said...
Its better to spend a little more money on tires that perform well than to spend ALOT of money on rebuilding a wadded bike.

Your call...but I'd rather invest in tires

1 - 20 of 44 Posts