Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in Oregon they are trying to pass a bill that would allow motorcyclist to use the shoulder during congestion on highways. The limit would be 30mph when traffic is going slower than 25mph. Personally, I view this as being safer than lane splitting because you get more of a cushion while driving by traffic.

The bill is in it's early stages and I hope to see great progress towards it's transition to a bill. Someone posted something similar about Washington moving towards legalizing lane splitting and it's great to see the west coast moving forward.

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Being from California, I love PROPER use of lane splitting. In theory, the shoulder sounds like a good idea. I'd be worried about gravel, and other debris that would make it less than safe for people that can't follow the rules and would want to abuse the speed limit. You also have people changing tires, or just doing stupid things.

I welcome any relief, I hate getting stuck in stop and go traffic and having to use the clutch for hours straight.

·
Registered
862 Posts
You can't save stupid. I do like the idea of using the shoulder. Now hurry up you West Coasters and set an example. The state I live in is terrified of anything new and won't even consider the concepts unless the vast majority of the US already accepted the new as the norm.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being from California, I love PROPER use of lane splitting. In theory, the shoulder sounds like a good idea. I'd be worried about gravel, and other debris that would make it less than safe for people that can't follow the rules and would want to abuse the speed limit. You also have people changing tires, or just doing stupid things.

I welcome any relief, I hate getting stuck in stop and go traffic and having to use the clutch for hours straight.
I completely agree and figure that would 30mph limit you would be going through the lane slow enough to see and react other cars on the shoulder. My main concern was, as you pointed out, all the debris and gravel on the road.

As for the west coast setting an example, I will be keeping an eye out on this bill and hope to see progress.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I didn't know that riding on the shoulder would be a different matter than between lanes. I think if they OK one they should OK the other. I'm really in favor of splitting (duh) and do so (within reason) in NY even though it is illegal. I like the newer language on it where it's only allowed below certain speeds and with only a specified delta between you and other traffic speed. Older lane splitting regs allowed for too many yahoos to thread the needle between cages in flowing traffic at 20-30mph+ speed difference.

I think this is good policy. I would still advise any rider to do so judiciously. The shoulder is where you'll pick up all the twisty, pointy metal bits of road detritus. Got a nice nail in my rear tire once and probably picked it up on a shoulder shortcut to an off ramp earlier in the day.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't know that riding on the shoulder would be a different matter than between lanes. I think if they OK one they should OK the other.
well the problem is that they haven't okay'd lane splitting so it doesn't really set a precedent for driving on the shoulder. I guess this is their alternative to splitting between cars. :cruising:

·
Registered
903 Posts
well the problem is that they haven't okay'd lane splitting so it doesn't really set a precedent for driving on the shoulder. I guess this is their alternative to splitting between cars. :cruising:
Ah? Ok. Thanks. If it's either or I think lane splitting is smarter than a shoulder riding allowance. If you've ever been stopped along the shoulder & looked around it's definitely a place you don't want to be riding for any length of time. Flat tire city.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts

IIRC there's a bill currently in the Texas State legislature to change that policy.

Ah? Ok. Thanks. If it's either or I think lane splitting is smarter than a shoulder riding allowance. If you've ever been stopped along the shoulder & looked around it's definitely a place you don't want to be riding for any length of time. Flat tire city.
Also another reason why one shouldn't use the shoulders: there isn't always one constructed...at least not where I live but they've never had the road work sh1t together and I've lived here my entire life.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also another reason why one shouldn't use the shoulders: there isn't always one constructed...at least not where I live but they've never had the road work sh1t together and I've lived here my entire life.
As far as I know, in Oregon there are shoulders throughout all of I5. The amount of oils and dangerous debris though is another story :ponder:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unfortunately this wouldn't help much on 217, but I'm all for a bill that helps get riders out of harms way and may alleviate traffic.

The hearing is at 3pm on 2/11. I guess we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately this wouldn't help much on 217, but I'm all for a bill that helps get riders out of harms way and may alleviate traffic.

The hearing is at 3pm on 2/11. I guess we'll see what happens.
I wonder how the hearing went, I haven't read anything published about it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yea Texas has been working on something but it's still in progress. I just try to avoid congested areas and take back roads. Shoulders can be sketchy, but it's a nice option to have for sure. I hope it works out for you guys.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Anyone know the rule regarding parking on sidewalks? I'm tempted more than I do but it does sorta waste a parking spot and right next to a store might deter a thief more than if it in were the middle of parking half full and hard to see.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Will be interesting to see what happens with this.There are always some impatient riders who use the shoulder to get off the freeway during traffic hours. I always wondered if they knew how much debris and garbage is on the shoulder - it sounds like a gravel trap when pulling in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts