Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. I am new to the boards. Been browsing around for a few days now. Seems like the place for me. I currently drive an 07 protuned Subaru WRX STI. The power is great, but all its done is make me want more. I was recently offered a bike by a friend of the family. Its a 2003 CBR600RR. I have been around dirt bikes for a while but know nothing about streetbike pricing. After browsing kbb.com and other bike value sites I get the feeling they are not all that accurate. I hope this is the place to ask.

2003 CBR600RR
5900k miles
Excellent condition minus small scratch on gas tank from overseas moving crate.
New tires (no idea what kind) as of March.
Two Brothers exhaust (no idea what model/type)
Power Commander (at the risk of sounding like an idiot...seems to be some sort of engine management much like a COBB accessport if you are familar to Subarus or Evos).
Looking for $4700.

How is this price? Any room for negotiation? He mentioned that he checked KBB, dealers, and other places and thats his price. I checked out the for sale forum for a bit and 4700 does not seem to high. Any advice would be great... including a better place to post this. Admins, if I am in the wrong place, please boot me to a better section.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
thats a good price imo. but theres always room for negotiations.
id try to shoot it down to 4g'z if all possible. or between 4000 - 4300ish.

will there be any gear with the purchase of the bike?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt any gear. The owner only has one set of gear and owns 3 bikes. I am not counting on it. I hate to low ball someones thats married to a close friend. Just feels weird. You dont think its unreasonable to go low 4ks?

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
I doubt any gear. The owner only has one set of gear and owns 3 bikes. I am not counting on it. I hate to low ball someones thats married to a close friend. Just feels weird. You dont think its unreasonable to go low 4ks?
you always try the lowest bro. thats my take on it.
but not low enough to lowball a friend. maybe in your case id try 4300-4500ish.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'd shoot for 4's. If he's really a close family friend or whatever... he'd hook it up.

I'm not planning to buy a bike until march, and the 03 is one of the bikes im considering. I've already set that i will not spend more than 4k on that bike.

K

·
0 Posts
Don't.

Do.

It.

Take the MSF, pass it, get a GS500 or EX500 used so that you can get a satisfactory second nature, then trade up. i can guarantee you will have just as fun on a 500 as you would on a 600 to satisfy your need for speed... also, if speed is what you need, Take it to the track. Just had a guy here who signed up for a track day in September only to cancel because he got 2 speeding tickets that totaled $1100 after everything was said an done. that could have paid for 7 track days.

Your need for speed might not be such a good thing for you to pursuit... on the street where you'll be LEARNING.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hey fellas. I am new to the boards. Been browsing around for a few days now. Seems like the place for me. I currently drive an 07 protuned Subaru WRX STI. The power is great, but all its done is make me want more. I was recently offered a bike by a friend of the family. Its a 2003 CBR600RR. I have been around dirt bikes for a while but know nothing about streetbike pricing. After browsing kbb.com and other bike value sites I get the feeling they are not all that accurate. I hope this is the place to ask.

2003 CBR600RR
5900k miles
Excellent condition minus small scratch on gas tank from overseas moving crate.
New tires (no idea what kind) as of March.
Two Brothers exhaust (no idea what model/type)
Power Commander (at the risk of sounding like an idiot...seems to be some sort of engine management much like a COBB accessport if you are familar to Subarus or Evos).
Looking for $4700.

How is this price? Any room for negotiation? He mentioned that he checked KBB, dealers, and other places and thats his price. I checked out the for sale forum for a bit and 4700 does not seem to high. Any advice would be great... including a better place to post this. Admins, if I am in the wrong place, please boot me to a better section.

Thanks
Jim

how much power you make with ur protune i work for a shop that specializes in subarus .. i just finished an 07 that did 462 whp and 428 wtq on 100% 93 octane heres a pic or 2

were in md if your anywhere close look me up ..

·
Registered
901 Posts
oh and by the way the cosworth is on the way we just used the stock motor for mock up and to keep him drivin till the new engine comes in .. and the price on the 03 is resonable i had one i miss it there great bikes 5900 isnt any miles at all to that thing .. i had 36k on mine when i sold it .. $hit i have almoste 8k on my 07 rr.. sounds good go for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KnightSlugger,

I hope my orig. post did not sound as if I am a maniac on the streets looking to kill myself. From the sound of your response it may have. Its not that I am looking for speed, its more just a love for motorsports. I have been looking into street bikes for a long while now. To be honest, I had to talk myself out a of liter. Whether its the popular opinion or not, a 600 seems to be the right bike for me. Just cant pass up the body style a 600 has to offer. ;)

K

·
0 Posts
KnightSlugger,

I hope my orig. post did not sound as if I am a maniac on the streets looking to kill myself. From the sound of your response it may have. Its not that I am looking for speed, its more just a love for motorsports. I have been looking into street bikes for a long while now. To be honest, I had to talk myself out a of liter. Whether its the popular opinion or not, a 600 seems to be the right bike for me. Just cant pass up the body style a 600 has to offer. ;)
The funny thing about where you're at in the motorcycle motorsports world, you don't know what you want. I've read and seen far too many riders who think they know what they want as new riders fail with fatal consequences. If you think you can beat the odds (which are stacked HEAVILY against you) then by all means get the 600RR. But know this: You're going to develop very bad riding habits from not developing a solid second nature base as a new impressionable rider and when you need those skills, i can only hope you're well enough to post back here about it.

What's more important to you? Riding very well with appreciable skill or looking good?

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
KnightSlugger,

what his point is (well one of them)....is that starting on a supersport 600 is not a good idea to learn if its your first street bike.
you'd be better off starting/learning a on smaller displacement bike.

imo...the majority of better riders on this forum started off on smaller bikes.
but im not one to tell someone what they should get or not.
unless youre a straight up dumbass...then i will be more than happy to tell someone they dont belong on a bike and not to get one. ;0)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I recognized the paks/bay the second I saw the pic. Beautiful ride. element = Hill??? I am in NOVA ant too the trek to Agile Automotive in Fallston? :icon_lol: for my tune a few months ago. I actually remember a white Honda bike pulling up onto the front porch before my tune.

As for the tune, I had a OBP with Perrin dp/catback, APS CAI. Pretty quiet dude with blonde hair who crept around the shop while you fellas installed a fuel pump for me then tuned. The standard tbe+fuel pump+cai+cobb protune. If you are not Hill, then you may have been the one to help get my car hooked into the dyno. Either way, beautiful car and sick bike. Great work on the tune aswell! Car has been a dream since. I am still scared as all getup about the issues some 07s are having, and prey everyday I don't run into the same engine failures.

-Jim

·
Registered
901 Posts
I recognized the paks/bay the second I saw the pic. Beautiful ride. element = Hill??? I am in NOVA ant too the trek to Agile Automotive in Fallston? :icon_lol: for my tune a few months ago. I actually remember a white Honda bike pulling up onto the front porch before my tune.

As for the tune, I had a OBP with Perrin dp/catback, APS CAI. Pretty quiet dude with blonde hair who crept around the shop while you fellas installed a fuel pump for me then tuned. The standard tbe+fuel pump+cai+cobb protune. If you are not Hill, then you may have been the one to help get my car hooked into the dyno. Either way, beautiful car and sick bike. Great work on the tune aswell! Car has been a dream since. I am still scared as all getup about the issues some 07s are having, and prey everyday I don't run into the same engine failures.

-Jim

yeah i work at agile whats car is yours .. no its not hill my name is corey im the other fabricator / tech in the shop .. but hill dose do all the pro tunes. and yeah the bike lives on the porch that was me .

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
alright...this turned into a subee thread. im outee yo!

gl on your choice with the bike mang.

if you get the bike...
do the MSF, get some good quality gear and practice, practice, practice.

werd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I love the shop and the staff was great. It was a OBP 07. Pretty standard looking. I dont recall, but at the time of the tune, the only mods would have been the ones included in the tune. Nothing cosmetic that would set it apart from every other 07. I may have had my grill done and headlights painted. Few months back, had real short blonde hair. There was an asian fella in there who was getting some rattles sorted out after his recent gt30r setup.

Side question and straying even further from the orig. post... how much would a 3 gauge install in a dashpod run? Probably boost, EGT, oil pressure.

·
Registered
901 Posts
i started out on an 03 600rr .. its a good first bike as long as you can remember a few things ..
1 the second you think your in controle it will show you who is
2 there like good women you have to get to know them there all diff if you go to fast they will let you know real quick
3 alway love them and respect them and they will return the favor with many fun filled days
4 should have been #1 gear gear gear saved my hide before

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My apologies for the subject change. I appreciate the bike advice. From the sound of the advice its very gruesome, either go smaller or suffer. Is a 600 something a beginner/novice rider could get used to? Safety come first in my life, and if a 600 is just not the road bike to start on, then maybe I need to reconsider.

K

·
0 Posts
My apologies for the subject change. I appreciate the bike advice. From the sound of the advice its very gruesome, either go smaller or suffer. Is a 600 something a beginner/novice rider could get used to? Safety come first in my life, and if a 600 is just not the road bike to start on, then maybe I need to reconsider.
well i can tell you what a "Beginner" bike can offer in terms of lessons learned vs. a supersport.

for instance, it is important to be progressive when braking hard. The soft front suspension of the EX500 (for instance) over emphasizes this very important task. after you get it down and move up you'll be surprised at what you can accomplish with little or no thought at all vs. having all that knowledge in the back of your head all the time giving you something to constantly worry about... which will get you in some pretty good trouble.

and this being your very first road bike, i'd feel much better about you not worrying about every little thing. if you're good at it, you'll feel the itch to move up to the Supersport 600 class... at which point the better 2005/2006 cbr600rr will be in your $4,000 range.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts