Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to check out a bike that has been outside for the winter but under a motorcycle cover. Ive only looked at bikes in either storage units or in climate controlled garages, not purposely like this, it just happened this way. When i get there and i see the bike i am so excited to jump into the deal that i forget to look at things that could be bad, therefore, the next day i have to return to the bike and give it an overview. Anyway, when buying a bike i basically know what to look for when the bike is stored in a garage or in the nice weather. The current bike im interested in is under a bike cover but outside (i didnt find this out untill an hour ago and i have been talking to this guy for a few days), and yesterday my area got around 6-8 inches of snow. It has only snowed a few times and melted the next day so now is the only significant mount of snowfall that we have experienced this year. The battery died from not being started in a while so that has been replaced by the owner but i am wondering if there is anything specific that i should look for when looking at a bike in this weather and the environment it has been in for the past few months. Ive heard that the covers should keep the moisture out but im assuming this means in a garage, not outside in the snow and rain. Maybe rust spots? excess dry rott in the tires? I just dont know so all help is appreciated. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
why do people think a bike being out side is so bad for it?

dude, you look for the same stuff you look for in a garage kept bike

the bike is DESIGNED to handle the elements.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just go through it with the same fine toothed comb that you would if you bought any other bike. There shouldn't be any issues with leaving the bike outside.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why do people think a bike being out side is so bad for it?

dude, you look for the same stuff you look for in a garage kept bike

the bike is DESIGNED to handle the elements.
I never said it was bad, I am just asking questions. And I believe most people would rather have a garage kept bike than one kept outsides?? Would you leave your winter jacket outside because it is meant to be used in the snow :lol: haha only kidding. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I never said it was bad, I am just asking questions. And I believe most people would rather have a garage kept bike than one kept outsides?? Would you leave your winter jacket outside because it is meant to be used in the snow :lol: haha only kidding. Thanks for the input.
garage kept, or kept outside, makes 0 difference to me, as long as its maintained.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with tenjin, just look for the same things you would otherwise. If it was well maintained and well covered, it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I keep my bike outside but under a cover. Only thing is if he rode it over the winter and didn't dry it before putting the cover back on can make for 2 things. 1. rust in some random places and 2. Little bugs and critters like to sit up in the warm and moist corners of the bike if not ridden. Both of these are cosmetic and really don't mean anything but just thought Id give you the heads up. Honestly, don't worry about it, as long as he maintained it there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm not saying that the fellow didn't maintain the bike like he should have, but anyone that leaves a bike outside (or inside for that matter) and doesn't care enough to put a battery tender on the battery..........might have issues with doing the proper maint. on the bike. Not maintaining the battery isn't a deal killer for me, but it certainly is a RED flag of the owner being too lazy or ??? to properly maint his bike. A fine tooth comb look-over would certainly be in order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You guys sure are anal about your bikes. Not saying its a bad thing. But my last bike i forgot about it and left it in my back yard and by the end of winter it was buried in a snow bank. I live in canada where we get -40 weather and come spring I put a charger on the battery lubed the chain and it fired right up good as new no signs it say in the snow bank all winter. Point being a little cold weather and snow wont hurt the bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Okay I don't like to give out my secrets but I will tell you one of my secrets in purchasing a bike. Wait for it.......................................stethoscope, get one. Who cares that it has been sitting how does the engine sound!? Put on your stethoscope and stick the other end on the engine and listen for rattling I'm sure you can distinguish good engine noise from bad.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I'm not saying that the fellow didn't maintain the bike like he should have, but anyone that leaves a bike outside (or inside for that matter) and doesn't care enough to put a battery tender on the battery..........might have issues with doing the proper maint. on the bike. Not maintaining the battery isn't a deal killer for me, but it certainly is a RED flag of the owner being too lazy or ??? to properly maint his bike. A fine tooth comb look-over would certainly be in order.
so, lets just say, i park my bike out side, its going to be down for 4 months for snow

i do all proper storage stuff, and then instead of being lazy, and hooking up a tender to the battery where it sits, *GASP* i take the seat off, the battery out, and *sigh* hook the battery up to the tender thats in the garage, seperated from the bike, for shame, thats gotta be a red flag that i dont care for the bike!

·
Registered
455 Posts
no thanx on the outside keeping if it gets cold and hot all the time like it does in AL what do lil rubber hoses do and the wires when they go threw that enough and set out in the sun? yep so no thanx gar. kept please

1 - 14 of 14 Posts