Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
As some of you are aware of, I'm in the process right now of purchasing a new bike. I got a great price, but of course that price didn't include any of the setup, freight, or processing fees.

First of all,
Is there any way to buy a bike from the dealership just in crate form? I am not excatly sure (and I hope you guys can tell me) what all is involved in setting up a motorcycle, but I highly doubt it's something I can't do in my own garage. I'm getting quotes of over $200 to set up my 600rr, and I can't imagine that it's more than mirrors, windshield, turn signals and the like.

What kind of fees are you guys paying for all of this stuff. The price of my bike jumped up $300 with all of these fees, and that was after a discount on the freight. I'm starting to consider drivig to TN to not mess with any of this crap just to save myself $300 on the fees. The price on this bike is great, so I probably shouldn't even complain, but the only reason I can afford a NEW '05 is due to the savings.

·
Registered
617 Posts
One thing I am curious about is if you buy a bike in a crate does the new warranty still apply? I could see them denying a warranty claim because the bike wasn't setup by a dealer. Something to look into anyways.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Ajax said:
One thing I am curious about is if you buy a bike in a crate does the new warranty still apply? I could see them denying a warranty claim because the bike wasn't setup by a dealer. Something to look into anyways.
I know that the Batteries have to be filled and charged by the dealer to avoid a warranty issue, They did this with a Honda Generator that I bought. I was in a hurry to pick it up and get the hell out of there but had to wait over an hour while they did all of the setup stuff. There was no extra charge for that though.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It certainly would be nice to know that for sure... Right away the "fees" were just a hair under $400. I got them down to $300 quite quickly, but he acted like he was doing me a huge favor. The thing that I hate the most about doing business is having to play games. If you can offer me a good price, give me that price, and I will recommend your company to everyone on this site. That my friend, is good business!

I thought that sportbike batteries were enclosed, so there should be no filling involved.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Always talk in "Out the Door" prices so these things don't happen. How much for u to walk out the door at this minutes with tax, license, and all the setup fee's. Don't talk payments.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, just as mabbottusmc said, you have to start talking to them right off the bat about OTD (out the door) price. I did that with mine, gave them a set price I wanted out the door and if they could match it I'd do it, if not I was gone and that's how I got my bike for the price I wanted. If they want the business enough and it's reasonable they'll do it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Power Of Dreams said:
I read somewhere (I think on here) that honda pays each dealer to do the set-ups. So the set-up charges they charge you is BS. (this is what I read).
That is not entirely true. According to the Honda dealer pricesheet the assembly cost is $32. Anything they charge you for setup above that is just adding to their profit without them having to deal for it with you. But the freight is automatically added to the invoice price so you should not get charged seprerately for the freight because it is already in the cost of the bike.

·
Registered
153 Posts
mabbottusmc said:
Isn't freight cost to the port and from there they charge u to the dealer?
Nope, Dealer invoice includes a $150 per crate freight charge for shipping from the manufacturer to the dealership. The fee is the same nation wide. That way a dealership closer to the port doesn't have an advantage over a dealership that is further away.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
davetx...

Great information. Thus far, I've got all fees down to $300, that includes all the paperwork, assembly, and freight.

The deal is still good, I'm going to walk out the door for $7600 not including tax, but I'd like to see it a little lower since southern honda is quite a lot better than that. My only problem is that I'm in Iraq, and southern honda requires me to be in the store to make a purchase.

If I can get this dealership down to $7300 I'll cut them a check right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts