Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stopped to answer the cellphone for an important call i was expecting.
after the call was all done i try to start up my bike and nothing.
last bar of fuel, so ok, i call my bro to get some gas.
nothing.
still the rapid noise of it trying to unleash the beast.
so went home and got the jumper cables.
finally!!

so yeah, i dont know why it did it. ive only had the bike for a while and the battery is still stock.
its an 03, so maybe its just about time to get a new one.

your guys thoughts... just its time, or is something else crying to get fixed?
(also what replacement battery is recommended)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
holy cow.. u jumped it? bad bad! u should have tried push starting it.. like pushing the bike in gear with the clutch held in.. and then letting go of the clutch, and hittin the starter.

how long did u talk on the phone for? were the fans running? probably had it on too long so the battery went weak.

·
Registered
779 Posts
did u turn the key to the off position or just hit the kill switch. bike battery's dont hold too much of a charge.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
You're 03 (like mine, probably) is notorious for dead batteries due to a faulty rectifier. My battery died on me, but I was doing a lot of stop and go, in the heat, with my high beams on. Obviously, the fan was also running. So, all of that with a faulty rectifier didn't allow my battery to charge properly and it died.

So, 1. Get a new battery, since you jumped it and it will probably never be the same. Hopefully, nothing else is shorted. 2. You may look into getting a rectifier from an 04-06. It's an easy modification and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sooperman12 said:
You're 03 (like mine, probably) is notorious for dead batteries due to a faulty rectifier. My battery died on me, but I was doing a lot of stop and go, in the heat, with my high beams on. Obviously, the fan was also running. So, all of that with a faulty rectifier didn't allow my battery to charge properly and it died.

So, 1. Get a new battery, since you jumped it and it will probably never be the same. Hopefully, nothing else is shorted. 2. You may look into getting a rectifier from an 04-06. It's an easy modification and I haven't had a problem since.
hmmm, if my bike starts would you say its still ok to ride around town?
and youre right, i did have my highbeams on and i think thats one of the main reasons. i just started to ride with them on since the blue indicator annoys me a bit as i havent gotten use to it yet.
i will look into the rectifier. thanks for that tip.

thanks for all the feedback guys.

·
Monkey works will work for you :)
1,679 Posts
sooperman12 said:

This is right on, I had the same problem with my 03', be careful with that battery, once mine died and I had to push start it, it was never the same. Luckily when it finally crapped out I happen to be at the dealer I bought it from so they hooked me up. I havent changed the rectifier but I do use a battery tender to keep it topped off and havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
ragthelegend said:
hmmm man are u sure jump starting ur bike is bad for it? i asked my dad and he knows his fair play with his mechanics and he says it doesnt stuff the bike out.
The voltage is close to the same but the car/truck alternator output is much higher and will damage the R/R or the battery. If you have to do this leave the vehicle off. I'd recommend you push start the bike in 3rd gear.

Don't just go out and buy a new battery until you have found out if the one you have is actually bad. Take it to Advanced auto or Autozone and have it load tested. If it's bad buy a new one. If it's not buy a 1amp trickle charger w/ a built in regulator so it won't overcharge the battery and charge it for 5-8hrs. Do not use the "Quick Charge" method.

If your R/R doesn't have a heat shield buy an 04-06 as suggested. It takes only a few minutes to swap it out. Very easy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
NewRedRider said:
The voltage is close to the same but the car/truck alternator output is much higher and will damage the R/R or the battery. If you have to do this leave the vehicle off. I'd recommend you push start the bike in 3rd gear.
He's right, it would have been different if you jump started the bike with another RR.
Next time you gotta sweat a little and push the beast down the hill!
(you have no idea how many times I had to push my old bike!)

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
A load test takes seconds...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts