Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was going down the interstate to meet some guys. I had been riding for about an hour between 7k - 8k. My bike started lurching. I downshifted and it still did it. Once I slowed down it stopped. I pulled into a mall and shut it off. It fired right back up. Once I got back onto the interstate, it did it again. I sat at a gas station for about 15 minutes. After that, nothing was wrong. The charging system is fine. I thought I had the rectifier issue, but when the bike was cutting out my gauges weren't flashing. During my 2 hour ride home on the interstate, everything was fine. Would this be a stopped up fuel filter?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
The bike doesn't really have a fuel filter, might be worth checking the connections to the battery though....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery connections were fine. When revving to 5,000, the voltage was slowly going up.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have to agree, get the fuel pressure checked asap and see if it can hold full pressure at the higher rpm range.

Ive had fuel pumps that could sustain a low throttle, low rpm, but fail horribly as soon as they were put under a load.

Simplest thing to check first would be the fuel supply, if that all checks out then move onto the ignition. However I dont think that will be a problem because generally if the ignition was cutting out you would simply have a dead engine. Unless a ground is loose, then I suppose the vibs at higher rpms could cause a intermittent problem.

Hmmm...

Fuel first, then possible ignition failure. Although I could be wrong, but thats my best guess from the information given.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only major mod I know of is a Yoshimura slip-on. On my way home, I was cruising at about 7500 RPM and it seemed fine. There were a few times where I thought it was happening again, but I gave it some gas and it was fine. I've had the bike about a month and this is the first time I've noticed the problem. How do I go about checking the fuel pressure?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After putting on my new rear tire, I went and rode a little tonight. I stayed between 8 - 9k twice, each time for about a minute. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Maybe this weekend I will hit the interstate and see if the problem comes up again.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just a thought, but if it happens again, pull over and try opening up the gas cap. Listen for an inrush of air indicating a partial vacuum in the tank. You might have a kinked or pinched gas tank vacuum hose.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today towards the end of my 3.5 hour ride, it started to happen. I pulled over, and opened the tank. I didn't hear any air rushing. After that it was fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had an F4 that would do the same thing. The guy who bought it after me said something about a voltage rectifier.....idk thats why I sold it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sounds like what my bike started doing.. been working on it for a year now. may sound crazy but mine ended up being the air temp sensor going bad. hope it helps

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
On my way home from work yesterday it happened again. I pulled into a gas station turned the bike off and opened the tank. I also put some gas in it since I had 1 bar left. The rest of my ride home it was fine. Tommorrow it will be raining so I will check the vent lines.

Whatever is going on, turning the bike off and opening the tank fixes it.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
On my way home from work yesterday it happened again. I pulled into a gas station turned the bike off and opened the tank. I also put some gas in it since I had 1 bar left. The rest of my ride home it was fine. Tommorrow it will be raining so I will check the vent lines.

Whatever is going on, turning the bike off and opening the tank fixes it.
Then you probably have a pinched or blocked tank vent hose.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I have an update. I finally blew out the vent lines. I still have the problem. It would happen when there were 2 bars or less left. When riding hard it would happen at 3 bars left. Today while riding hard it happened after only losing 1 bar from full. Pulling over, opening the gas thank, and shaking the bike got rid of the problem. On my way home it sputtered at 60mph. I then gassed it to 70mph and it was fine. Tonight I drained the tank and didn't see anything inside.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Pull your fuel pump out and check the strainer for anything, you will need to pull the pump apart to really clean it out...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took the pump out yesterday and didn't notice anything unusual. If the problem comes back up then I'll pull it out and clean it.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
If you're fuel pressure turns out to be ok (50psi) then it could be bad gas or a clogged injector(s). How many miles are on the bike? Have you had this bike on a dyno before? You can always put it on the dyno and see what your A/F ratio is doing. If you see it dropping off in the upper RPM range or WOT then you'll know you have a fuel problem.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
23,000 miles. Never been on the dyno. I can go wide open no problem at the beginning of a run. It's just after a while it starts cutting out. Even after it starts cutting out, I can keep the RPMs below 6k and it's like nothing it wrong. But if I try going higher than that it will cut out. After I open the tank and shake the bike, I can go wide open again. When I say cut out I mean that it starts sputtering. It sputters like there isn't enough fuel getting to the motor.

All the symptoms are telling me vent issue, but the lines are clear.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
They can get pretty full up with crap and still look ok on the outside so I would reccomend pulling it out to clean it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts