Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike: 05 CBR600RR
Electrical mods: Scorpio i900 Alarm, Competition Werkes LED front indicators with integrated resistors, Bixenon HID Projectors

About a 2.5 months ago my bike would cut out power for half a second or so whilst riding, HASS and oil light would flash on the dash a few times, power would then resume but I would crank the ignition anyway to be sure that it came on ASAP! Became more frequent on rides to town (within 8km), the battery had normal voltages (12.4 - 13.9v) at rest (pre and post charge), revving the engine. Then one day it would crank but not start up. Voltages went down the longer I tried cranking it, thought it was the battery on its way out and bought a Yuasa battery, the bike was fine for 3 days. After 3 days bike started doing the electrical thing again cutting out. Then 3 days later it woud crank but not start. Voltage on cranking would drop to maybe 11.8v if I kept it going for a while. My mate picked up my bike (5 weeks ago) and has had a look at everything. The alternator, reg/rec is fine, found an in-line resister that looked like it might have been fried, called Honda who weren't helpful. So now he's waiting to give it to the bike electrician who is booked out until mid-late next week.

Let me know what you may think it is.

NB: I have read a number of other similar issues but after reading the Troubleshooting forum rules stating that each bike's issue should have its own thread.

Cheers for your help in advance!

PS: My mate who sold me the bike stated he had issues with the alarm draining the battery and would need to ensure the battery tender was on if he didn't ride the bike for a week or so. He states the problem may be the alarm as "it had been giving me problems every now and then". I usually have the alarm disarmed unless I'm parked in the city and I'm not comfortable with the bike's location/parking position, in this case the alarm should have minimal drain on the battery.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The first step in troubleshooting an electrical problem is to return everything back to stock condition. Try removing the alarm system completely. And any other electrical mods (if any). Check all the fuses (left side of the bike and under the seat) to see if any have blown.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Bike: 05 CBR600RR
Electrical mods: Scorpio i900 Alarm, Competition Werkes LED front indicators with integrated resistors, Bixenon HID Projectors

About a 2.5 months ago my bike would cut out power for half a second or so whilst riding, HASS and oil light would flash on the dash a few times, power would then resume but I would crank the ignition anyway to be sure that it came on ASAP! Became more frequent on rides to town (within 8km), the battery had normal voltages (12.4 - 13.9v) at rest (pre and post charge), revving the engine. Then one day it would crank but not start up. Voltages went down the longer I tried cranking it, thought it was the battery on its way out and bought a Yuasa battery, the bike was fine for 3 days. After 3 days bike started doing the electrical thing again cutting out. Then 3 days later it woud crank but not start. Voltage on cranking would drop to maybe 11.8v if I kept it going for a while. My mate picked up my bike (5 weeks ago) and has had a look at everything. The alternator, reg/rec is fine, found an in-line resister that looked like it might have been fried, called Honda who weren't helpful. So now he's waiting to give it to the bike electrician who is booked out until mid-late next week.

Let me know what you may think it is.

NB: I have read a number of other similar issues but after reading the Troubleshooting forum rules stating that each bike's issue should have its own thread.

Cheers for your help in advance!

PS: My mate who sold me the bike stated he had issues with the alarm draining the battery and would need to ensure the battery tender was on if he didn't ride the bike for a week or so. He states the problem may be the alarm as "it had been giving me problems every now and then". I usually have the alarm disarmed unless I'm parked in the city and I'm not comfortable with the bike's location/parking position, in this case the alarm should have minimal drain on the battery.
I'm with checksix, take the alarm out and see how you go - especially if none of the connections were soldered in properly to start with.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem found. My mate took off the alarm and found an alarm wire was loose near the ignition. Anyway I've decided to leave the alarm off and can't wait to get back on the bike! Bike starts nooo problems with the wire connected now, woohoo. I'm just glad there is nothing expensive to repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts