Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike is an '03. i was out on saturday all day. bike ran great for the first hour. stopped for gas, went to go start it, and there was no juice. buddy and i push started it, fired up fine. went for about 20 minutes more, then the bike starts to sputter like its misfiring really bad, then died. went to restart, no juice. one thing that was strange is that i would turn the key to the on position, and the guage cluster would stay dead. however, as soon as i pressed the start button, the cluster would do its normal thing (lights all illuminate, tach swings to redline then back to 0). as soon as i let go of the starter button, no juice. i could hear what sounded like a turn signal relay popping. if i played with the signal switch, i could hear the relay doing different things. so i pulled the fuse for the turn signals, and tried to make it home. bike ran fine until about 5 miles from home, then did the now infamous horrible misfire/sputter, then died again. again, no juice when i went to restart.

anyone have any ideas before i start trying to trace down the issue? definitely sounds electrical to me. thanks for any help, only had the bike for a couple months so its a new animal to me.

Kyle B

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The first and most obvious thing is to check the battery - do you use a trickle charger? The second thing, in my experience, is to check the connections for the headlights and the gauge cluster. Other than that, I'd break out your multimeter and the wiring diagram from the service manual and go to work. Wish I could help you out more bro, good luck!

pm me if you want me to email you the wiring diagram section of the service manual

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply dude. yea, ive got the manual, ill break it out today and start testing circuits. bikes got a build date of 4/03, im wondering if im experiencing the now infamous rectifier issue with 2003 models. i dont want to throw a new battery in it only to have a bad rectifier fry it out. anyone out there had issues like this and had it turn out to be the rectifier?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Are u running high performance headlights? I had a problem with my bike a while ago. I thought it was the rectifier so i replaced it with a 05 rectifier. Well it would still die out, when i tried to start it back up it wouldnt wanna start. Well to make this story short. Make sure you got your O.E.M bulbs in and charge your batt. Our bikes aint made for high performance bulbs. I had PIAAS that were putting out 7500K. That killed my batt and thought my batt was dead ,so i got a new one. Well not im struck with an extra batt , my original rectifier and alternator(stator). If its not the prob, then u got a short somewhere. Hope this info is usefull and you fix the prob..Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope, stock headlights.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If you have basic knowledge in working with electrical circuits and you can read a diagram, get a factory wiring diagram and get started. If not, it would save you time and agravation if you went to a professional. If you start effing with it if you dont know what your doing, you will make what might be a simple problem, worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts