Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I was riding home today in the rain. THe bike started to have smoking coming out of the radiator. FIrst i thought it just the moisture that was evaporating from the heat. When i got home i started the bike again under my garage. It smoked a bit and started to smell like burning rubber. I think its coming form the radiator what could it be.

Any help would be great thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Did you try looking real good for any leaks? Check around the coolant reservoir and also around the oil filter. Something is probably leaking onto the headers.

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
Any time you ride in the rain this incident will happen

K

·
0 Posts
yup. any time you ride in the rain, your radiator will STEAM (not smoke).

if it's smoke, you've got a very serious problem.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
The smell is most likely all the oil and grime in the water coming off the road. Spooked me the first time I rode in the rain too. I have had people think that something on my bike had caught fire before with how much steam (that smells horrible) was coming off the bike while riding in some pretty heavy downpours.

Let the bike dry, then start it again and see if anything is smoking. Everything should be fine, unless there is a leak somewhere...a leak will be easier to find once everything is dry as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeaaa unless you wash your radiator very very well when you clean her up your going to get a weird smell, its debri and oils and all kinds of fun stuff that you've run over all steam cooked.

If it turns out to actually be smoke, white smoke is radiator fluid, blueish is oil. I bet my bottom dollar its just steam though

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Ya, that happens to me when I ride in the rain too. Its pretty annoying because its a little humiliating when I stop at a light and the other cars around are all looking at me thinking "is that guys bike on fire?"

Well I got home and looked under the bike and I could see a steady stream of water draining right onto the headers. I guess water gets trapped in an upper area of the engine and it only drains once stopped. If there was a way to block the area where the water builds up I would, but I'm just not motivated to investigate it right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank God for 600RR.net. I just got to work. Saw STEAM (it wasn't a dark or bluish smoke) and searched for "smoking bike". This was the first thread that popped up. Phewww... I strarted to freak out a bit. It's an '07 for goodnes sake! Thanks, all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts