Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my key on the other night thinking I was just running in the house and coming back out.....so now my battery is ****. I jumped it off and got it to crank, but as soon as I pull the neg. cable off it dies. Is my battery just shot? The bike is only 2 months old so the batter WAS new......

·
Registered
266 Posts
the last i checked if u remove the battery terminal then the bike will die...beat me to the punch...the bike has to be running(driven) for a while to charge the battery back...letting it sit idling wont charge the battery...u neet to get a Battery Tender Jr. ..they are only about $35

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should have specified - when I pull the neg. jumper cable off it dies, not the terminal. If the bike has to move to charge the battery how does everyone else jump off their bikes? Might be a stupid question, but I've never owned a bike before.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Im not sure what you mean by "jump off" but to charge the battery you can use a battery charger,I use a slow charge one with the correct amperage for our batteris in the spring sometimes or a trickle charger. I also use a battery tender jr (trickle charger.) both of these will charge your battery. If you mean jump start from another vehicle that is another story. I don't believe it is safe to jump start from a car/truck - I could be wrong bit I think iremember that was not a wise thing to do.

·
Registered
142 Posts
you "CAN" jump start from a vehicle, but the vehical must remian off or it may fry you stator or more..i no from experience..lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I read numerous writeups online about how to jump from a car and all of them said to leave the car off, which I did. But if you google "how to jump start a motorcycle" there's plenty of information. I know I've read other people talking about their battery going dead and "calling a friend to jump them off". I'm confused by the fact that the bike has to be moving to charge. I have the bike on a trickle charger for tonight, but I'd still like to hear from somone who has jumped from a vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually tried push starting it first...3 times...each time I could get the engine to roll over, gauges lit up, then it would die. I live on a hill also, so I had plenty of speed. After pushing it BACK UP the hill 3 times, thats when I decided to just jump it off using my truck. I jumped it from the truck and it rolled over and sat there idling....until I took the jumper cable off. That was my original question.....did it die just bc the battery was so low. Either way, I borrowed a charger last night and it should be fine today. I just might not always have a charger and outlet handy and would like to know why jump starting and push starting didn't work for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought it was 12v with the engine off, but 12-14 with the alternator running. I read that the extra juice from the alternator can fry your electrical.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good luck with charging it but if you left the lights on for too long, you may have deep cycled the battery. It will not properly hold a charge if you did this. I know from experience after my buddy left my lights on over night. I jumped it from my car but the next day it would radomly die. It is scary as s*** to have the bike die at freeway speeds and trying to pop the clutch to restart going 60+. If it is deep cycled the only option is to pony up for a new battery.

·
Registered
266 Posts
when i said moving to charge i meant......when the battery dies then u jump it..dont just let it idle for 5 min and expect it to be fully charged..the bike doesnt charge that fast..it is better once the bike is running to drive it around for a little while to charge it back up...of course this doesnt matter if u have a battery tender which is always a good thing to get...from what i have read bikes dont put out enough voltage to charge and run the lights at the same time from a completely dead battery...that could be why the bike died when u took the jumper off...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Take the battery out and have it load tested at an auto shop - 190CCA (per sluggers often posted comments). If it tests out good check the ground off the battery - wire and grounding point, clean it up if there's corrosion etc then try it with the battery fully charged.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts