Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Just wanted to ask a question! When I ride I usually dont use the clutch to shift up.. Today I was riding and when shifting out of 1st my bike would engage 2nd gear and then shoot down to neutral. Did I do something wrong? Can bikes pop out of gears? This happens in other gears also.... Plus every time It happens im always accelerating hard.

+ I look like an idiot revving it up to 13k because it shoot back down to neutral..

Help?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Use the clutch when going from 1st to 2nd before you **** something up. 2nd to 6th it's fine to not use the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
well most likely since you have to shift through neutral to get to 2nd gear from first, either you are not shifting hard enough to get it completly into 2nd and the lag in rpm's would allow it to drop into neutral or you have done it enough times that you have worn something down far enough where your transmission is starting to slip in that situation. But yes as stated above use the clutch when going from 1st to 2nd... you will save yourself form such a headache in the future, if you haven't already caused one

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I have never had good luck hammering through first to second on any bike..

I always use the clutch on that shift....

and fan it on the rest of them...

give yourself some time to shift....it is in traffic after all.

no need to give it the beans in those situations.

if i want to beat others from a stoplight i will start in 2nd and ride it to 9k before going to 3rd....

·
Registered
32 Posts
What year bike? I used to have a '99 R6 and it had a second gear issue where as you described, the bike will jump out of gear and would default back to Neutral while in motion. Now this was a known issue for the first gen R6's so it was only a matter of time till these bikes had the problem.

Not sure if the CBR's (specific generation) have similar problems but my 04 now has been problem free.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an 07 cbr. Yeah i've just started to use the clutch between 1st and second. Save my self the embarrassment of high revving in neutral :banghead:

Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Old or low grade oil can also cause your shifting to be less than smooth/perfect. My 04 felt like a new machine after switching to a semi synthetic major brand motorcycle specific oil. (Not sure if we can mention products/brands)
Bottom line: If there is no mechanical fault, oil can cause bad shifting, specially noticeable when changing through neutral.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use full synthetic. I think its cause There is a small drop in the rpms when I clutch less shift allowing the gear to drop back down to neutral.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Old or low grade oil can also cause your shifting to be less than smooth/perfect. My 04 felt like a new machine after switching to a semi synthetic major brand motorcycle specific oil. (Not sure if we can mention products/brands)
Bottom line: If there is no mechanical fault, oil can cause bad shifting, specially noticeable when changing through neutral.
You can. And I run rotella T6 full synthetic. No problems here.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You can. And I run rotella T6 full synthetic. No problems here.

Motul 5100 10W40 solved it for me. Never would of believed it, had I not experienced it myself.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
may i ask why you dont use the clutch?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts