Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought this bike 2 months ago and always noticed my bike is making a extremely weird noise at high RPMS (my tachometer doesn't work; don't know exact rpms). I'll post the video down there. I just changed my oil/ did a complete maintenance on the bike. I'm thinking it might be a CCT issue but I recall a bad cct makes noise at idle. Any help would mean the world to me! Thank you. Notice when I let go of throttle when it makes that noise.

https://youtu.be/Y4xEn0rHnmg

·
Registered
389 Posts
A bad cct will not always make noise at idle. What I'm hearing in that video sounds like it could be the cam chain. I would put in a manual tensioner; even if it does not fix the problem they are nice to have.

Reactions: dixon cider

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bad cct will not always make noise at idle. What I'm hearing in that video sounds like it could be the cam chain. I would put in a manual tensioner; even if it does not fix the problem they are nice to have.
Thank you for the response. I already ordered one off eBay, I'm crossing my fingers. Bike is smooth as hell though, it's just that weird noise throws my mood off.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
sounds like the cam chain so yea cct.

put your hand on the case by the cct see if you can feel it etc. placing a screw driver on the cct and engine case and put your ear on the end of the screw driver and you should be able to hear it very well if it is the cct...

i got a ape cct on mine and wish I would have just went with the oem so oem is what i recommend...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

put your hand on the case by the cct see if you can feel it etc. placing a screw driver on the cct and engine case and put your ear on the end of the screw driver and you should be able to hear it very well if it is the cct...

i got a ape cct on mine and wish I would have

just went with the oem so oem is what i recommend...

Thank you for your response. Does the CCT noise vary depending if the clutch is pulled in or not? Because sometimes when I hold my clutch the noise itself goes away. It's such a headache locating exactly where this noise comes from because trying to locate it while riding is honestly impossible.. also some people have the CCT noise while just completely idling? I gotta start researching how the CCT works exactly because quite frankly it's driving me nuts lol!

·
Registered
389 Posts

i got a ape cct on mine and wish I would have just went with the oem so oem is what i recommend...
Why do you regret buying the ape manual cct? Are you having trouble setting it?

If so, what you want to do is tighten it while the engine is running, until you don't hear any rattle, then back it off just slightly so you get a super slight rattle at idle. You just don't want it tight.

OP, the cam chain tensioner works off oil pressure. I know it has a spring and I think a ratcheting mechanism too. If it was the cct, it shouldn't make a difference whether clutch in or out. However, I would still replace it (I put manual cct's in all my Honda's).

If anyone wants a stock known good cct PM me

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Thank you for your response. Does the CCT noise vary depending if the clutch is pulled in or not? Because sometimes when I hold my clutch the noise itself goes away. It's such a headache locating exactly where this noise comes from because trying to locate it while riding is honestly impossible.. also some people have the CCT noise while just completely idling? I gotta start researching how the CCT works exactly because quite frankly it's driving me nuts lol!
Yes it will load, no load, acel, decel.

put it on the rear stand and you can throw it in first gear. make sure someone help you so it dont jump off the stand... Also try in neutral.

Try using a screw drive like I said, pry bar, even better a mechanical stethoscope. Harbor freight sells them for like $5

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Why do you regret buying the ape manual cct? Are you having trouble setting it?

If so, what you want to do is tighten it while the engine is running, until you don't hear any rattle, then back it off just slightly so you get a super slight rattle at idle. You just don't want it tight.

OP, the cam chain tensioner works off oil pressure. I know it has a spring and I think a ratcheting mechanism too. If it was the cct, it shouldn't make a difference whether clutch in or out. However, I would still replace it (I put manual cct's in all my Honda's).

If anyone wants a stock known good cct PM me
Stock one doesnt work off oil pressure, its just the spring.

I got a few issue which is why I wish I just would have went oem again, the stock gasket that comes with the ape is well it just looks poor i would use a oem gasket but I didnt have one at the time. I dont like having to adjust it and check it more etc. Mine leaks a little oil out of the top which im sure is just the o-ring but its still a inconvenience that i have to repair. Oem lasted 22k on mine and thats good enough for me imo.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Stock one doesnt work off oil pressure, its just the spring.

I got a few issue which is why I wish I just would have went oem again, the stock gasket that comes with the ape is well it just looks poor i would use a oem gasket but I didnt have one at the time. I dont like having to adjust it and check it more etc. Mine leaks a little oil out of the top which im sure is just the o-ring but its still a inconvenience that i have to repair. Oem lasted 22k on mine and thats good enough for me imo.
You sure it doesn't work off oil pressure, because if my memory is correct, an oil passage was blocked off by the manual cct. I'm 100% sure that was the case with my 1994 cbr600, 90% sure the RR was the same way.

I haven't had to adjust mine in 5k miles. Adjustment is easy anyway. Mine doesn't leak any oil, is your locknut tight? 22k isn't bad at all, but the ape will last forever.

EDIT: Any dirt on the gasket or O-ring will cause it to leak. Try cleaning and torqueing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update!!!! The noise completely disappeared after replacing my old CCT, with a APE (adjustable). Don't do what I do and strip the back 5mm bolt, it's extremely hard enough to take out, take your time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Glad to hear Joel!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Update!!!! The noise completely disappeared after replacing my old CCT, with a APE (adjustable). Don't do what I do and strip the back 5mm bolt, it's extremely hard enough to take out, take your time.

You just need a couple of 1/4” drive extensions (4&6”) and the right angle...get it out in 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
That back bolt is really tough to get to. I had to use a few extensions and some universal joints and come in from the left side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts