Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 CBR600RR has been sitting in the garage for the last 4 months due to snow and I'm trying to get it started today and am having some difficulties. Before storage the bike had 1/2 gallon of gas and I didn't get a chance to put stabilizer in it since I was out of the country. I have put 2 gallons of fresh gas in it and when I try to start the bike the bike makes the same noise as usual and revs alilttle when I use the throttle. The bike sounds like its almost about to start but won't seem to catch. The battery is not dead as I have charged it. Would push starting the bike possibly work? If not, what might be the problem (I know there is a chance the old gas broke down but there was only 1/2 gallon in the tank).

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
My 06 CBR600RR has been sitting in the garage for the last 4 months due to snow and I'm trying to get it started today and am having some difficulties. Before storage the bike had 1/2 gallon of gas and I didn't get a chance to put stabilizer in it since I was out of the country. I have put 2 gallons of fresh gas in it and when I try to start the bike the bike makes the same noise as usual and revs alilttle when I use the throttle. The bike sounds like its almost about to start but won't seem to catch. The battery is not dead as I have charged it. Would push starting the bike possibly work? If not, what might be the problem (I know there is a chance the old gas broke down but there was only 1/2 gallon in the tank).

Thanks in advance
Try push starting it to see what happens. It should work

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to push start but no luck. The bike gets close to starting but won't seem to start. Afterwards, I attached a battery charger to the bike and tried starting it. When I was trying to start it while pulling on the throttle I noticed a grey smoke come out of the exhaust. This was after the bike seemed to get close to starting. Any suggestions on why the grey smoke would come out of the exhaust or how to get the bike started?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Check fuses, check battery voltage, it could also be a fuel pump issue..
as for the grey smoke I think if and when you start it up and let it warm up it will go away.

·
Registered
214 Posts
try a adding a fuel injector cleaner or something similar to the tank and see if that helps

i use to do that on my carb'd R6 after sitting for a few months, but FI might not need it

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Drain your tank, new fuel and check the condition of your plugs. I'm assuming that you put an ethanol based fuel in? If so then the smoke is just water burning back out of the fuel (ethanol is hygroscopic).

I

·
0 Posts
This happened to me awhile back after I bought a wrecked bike that had been sitting around. I tried the fuel cleaner and all that first but I ended up having to change the plugs and it fixed it. Sounds similar to your problem.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Is your battery holding a charge? It might have enough to turn over a bit, but not actually enough to start the bike.

Have you tried to jump the bike off of another motorcycle? They say you shouldn't jump it off a car, but I have done that in a pinch. I find that bump starts are tough if your bike is cold and hasn't been ridden in a while. You need a decent hill to get that to work.

Another tactic is to spray some carb cleaner into the intake (don't go crazy with it, but a little goes a long way). It usually juices it enough to get it to start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is your battery holding a charge? It might have enough to turn over a bit, but not actually enough to start the bike.

Have you tried to jump the bike off of another motorcycle? They say you shouldn't jump it off a car, but I have done that in a pinch. I find that bump starts are tough if your bike is cold and hasn't been ridden in a while. You need a decent hill to get that to work.

Another tactic is to spray some carb cleaner into the intake (don't go crazy with it, but a little goes a long way). It usually juices it enough to get it to start.
I have left the battery attached to a battery charger and it showed that the battery had reach full charge. I haven't tried to jump the bike off of another motorcycle but I may try with my car. I can't tell what the problem is since the bike seems to get very close to starting. I have added 2 gallons of fresh fuel to it but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I have left the battery attached to a battery charger and it showed that the battery had reach full charge. I haven't tried to jump the bike off of another motorcycle but I may try with my car. I can't tell what the problem is since the bike seems to get very close to starting. I have added 2 gallons of fresh fuel to it but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
You needed to remove the old fuel first. Its like a glass that is half full of off milk, you can fill it to the top with fresh milk but your still not going to drink it are you? Why make your bike try?

Step one: Drain the tank and refill it with new fuel
Step two: Check the spark plugs for fouling

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Be very careful about trying to start the thing with moisture in the gas. Too much and you could vapor lock the engine. Do what Nico says before you try anything else.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I have never removed the tank before, will I need to disconnect any fuel lines to remove the tank from the frame?

Thanks in advance
Its easy to do mate, step by step:

1. Remove the tank cover and fairings that you need to to get it free

2. Siphon as much fuel as you can from the tank

3. Undo the four bolts that hold the tank in (two at the front two at the back)

4. Rotate the tank toward the rear of the bike

5. Disconnect the wiring that goes to the tank (fuel pump and level sender)

6. Cover the air box and other stuff with a rag

7. Undo the banjo at the fuel tank, the rags will prevent any fuel from going everywhere, and drop the excess fuel from the line into a container

8. Remove the tank from the bike

Reassembly is the same but backwards, it is also recommended (but debatable as to if its necessary) to replace the crush washer on the fuel line banjo. If your fuel line is more than 4 years old you may also want to look at replacing that as well (highly unlikely it has been done before).
Lastly, make note of how the fuel line sits when you remove the tank cause it has to go back the same way.

All in all its a very simple job that anyone who can turn a spanner is able to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its easy to do mate, step by step:

1. Remove the tank cover and fairings that you need to to get it free

2. Siphon as much fuel as you can from the tank

3. Undo the four bolts that hold the tank in (two at the front two at the back)

4. Rotate the tank toward the rear of the bike

5. Disconnect the wiring that goes to the tank (fuel pump and level sender)

6. Cover the air box and other stuff with a rag

7. Undo the banjo at the fuel tank, the rags will prevent any fuel from going everywhere, and drop the excess fuel from the line into a container

8. Remove the tank from the bike

Reassembly is the same but backwards, it is also recommended (but debatable as to if its necessary) to replace the crush washer on the fuel line banjo. If your fuel line is more than 4 years old you may also want to look at replacing that as well (highly unlikely it has been done before).
Lastly, make note of how the fuel line sits when you remove the tank cause it has to go back the same way.

All in all its a very simple job that anyone who can turn a spanner is able to do.
Thank you for the detailed instructions

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I ended up getting the bike started last night and put 13 miles on it to make sure that the fuel circulated through the engine and the bike ran fine with no problems. But when I started it today, the bike started right away but jerks as I accelerate through first gear. Do any of you know what might be the problem?

Edit: I lubed and adjusted the chain and I think that fixed the problem.
Thank you all for your responses

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sounds like you really need to run a full tank of fresh gas through the fuel system by getting it out for a long ride, before you let it sit again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like you really need to run a full tank of fresh gas through the fuel system by getting it out for a long ride, before you let it sit again.
Yea it has 1/2 tank left so I'm gonna let it run today so it will run dry and then I am gonna fill it up with fresh gas. Thank you for your response

1 - 20 of 20 Posts