Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright people, I need some help here. This is my 2006 Honda CBR600RR and it is a daily rider for me (about 60 miles per day). It has 34500 miles on it and gets maintained completely and frequently. About 4 weeks ago, I got a rear tire puncture and the bike had been sitting for that time. Yesterday I changed out the tire and went to start it with a bit of a surprise. It wont start. It was very low on gas, so I decided to fill it a half a tank. It still wont start. The battery is good because you can obviously hear the starter motor crank. You can hear the fuel pump start up just fine when you switch the ignition on.

I've posted a video to YouTube to show exactly what is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzLfgfT3Jk0

Any thoughts or feedback people?

D

·
0 Posts
It doesn't sound like the starer motor is engaging. Is it actually cranking the bike over?

By the way, stop using the kill switch. You'll be having some more problems with the bike not starting when the contacts pit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't sound like the starer motor is engaging. Is it actually cranking the bike over?
Isn't the fact that you can hear the starter motor turn on mean that the starter motor is engaged? Or are you staying it's on and working, but it's not actually cranking the engine over? How would I check for this? Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
try pop starting it?
I have. A couple times now. I've done it before with this bike, but not for a while, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm just not getting enough speed. I think the fact that I'm making my girlfriend help push me isn't helping either. ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
well it sounds like the motor is cranking. when u here a starter motor turn when its not under any load it sound like any other electric motor running so that obviously not the case. could it be flooded? it sounds like it fired a couple times. try holding the throttle wide open while its cranking. im not sure how prone to flooding these bikes are but its worth a try

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it sounds like the motor is cranking. when u here a starter motor turn when its not under any load it sound like any other electric motor running so that obviously not the case. could it be flooded? it sounds like it fired a couple times. try holding the throttle wide open while its cranking. im not sure how prone to flooding these bikes are but its worth a try
Will go and try this now. Holding a throttle wide open while it's cranking would help if the engine is flooded?

D

·
0 Posts
Isn't the fact that you can hear the starter motor turn on mean that the starter motor is engaged? Or are you staying it's on and working, but it's not actually cranking the engine over? How would I check for this? Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying.
The starter motor can spin, but not engage the starter gear in the transmission.

When you press the starter button, can you clearly tell that the engine is turning? Gasoline smell from the exhaust, puffs of air?

You should be able to push start it yourself. 2nd gear, run along side the bike and get up to about 7mph, and it should kick over.
If the engine is indeed flooded, it might be worth it to send your injectors in to be tested to find which ones are bad and are leaking.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I did several more kick starts with a friend (kicked the girlfriend to the curb for these runs, worthless!) and we were finally able to get it going. Updated video for everyone here.

It's not running, but the idle is bouncing around 1,100 rpm and the idle adjustment knob is pretty much stuck. Scared to turn it off right now. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got the same prob

Had the same issue this morning, except i got stuck at the local gas station and had to push my bike home :banghead:

Probably spend all night tonight trying to figure out what went wrong.

Let me know how you go!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
did you give your idle adjustment knob the finger? how dare you, In fact you should go out and apologize to it right now. J/K
anyways the bike definitely doesn't sound like it's running right. sounds like a lose cam chain, but I couldn't possibly know from that video and that wouldn't have much affect on the starter working anyways. however what demented stated about having a metallic clicking noise? yeah, I hear that as well.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Sounds like you have a loose CCT, does that noise get worse at higher RPM? When you were riding it did it feel like it had a lack of power? Has it thrown any DTCs?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Which problem are you having? The not starting or the knocking sound?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts