Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My room mate has an 07 cbr 600rr with 6k miles.

he bought the bike used at the start of the summer, and after a week of owning it he noticed that the bike would overheat while riding. the bike was stock when he bought it, and the only thing he has added so far is a tripage IT, proton flush mounts, integrated mirrors, and a leo vince slip on.

in order to fix the over heating problem the following has been attempted so far:
flush and change coolant system (this was done twice, no air is in the system, using engine ice)
change oil and filter, using full synthetic mobile one motorcycle oil (yes we used the correct oil for the bike, we looked it up in the manual)
checked the function of the water pump (it tested fine)
replace thermostat
replace temperature sensor
replaced water pump
removed thermostat
hardwire fan so that it is always running as long as the key is in the "on" position

he also took the bike a private mechanic that used to work for a Honda racing team. This mechanic was the one that first tested the water pump, then replaced the thermostat. then he swapped the sensor. this helped the problem of the bike overheating while riding. he then removed the thermostat completely just to make sure that it wouldn't get stuck and he put a fresh water pump in as well just as a precaution.

at this point the bike does not come close to overheating while riding, it stays under 200 almost all the time. it only over heats after you let it idle for about 7-10 minutes.

we are thinking maybe something with the head gasket? so we were thinking that a compression test and a pressure test of the cooling system might be needed to help figure out this issue?

any ideas on where to go from here?

thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it was 80 degree's outside it took the bike about ten minutes to get to the 270 mark.

when he lets it idle it eventually always gets all the way to 270, it just takes more or less time to reach that temp based on the outside temp (which is the highest that the bike will indicate according to the manual)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
/Water pump....?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
water pump, or general heat transfer issue (scaling inside the radiator due to the use of tap water maybe?)

also possible a pinhole headgasket leak causing allowing gases into the cooling system, but not water into the combustion chambers (so no smoke)

D

·
0 Posts
I would also be looking into a malfunctioning ECU. The ECU should kill power to the engine at ~ 258*, so a bike running that far overheated definitely has some issues other than overheating (if it actually is). After starting the bike, does the temp first show in the 90's?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
water pump, or general heat transfer issue (scaling inside the radiator due to the use of tap water maybe?)

also possible a pinhole headgasket leak causing allowing gases into the cooling system, but not water into the combustion chambers (so no smoke)
we made sure to use only fresh distilled water, and the whole system is now only filled with fresh engine ice.

the mechanic also suggested a possible problem with the head gasket, hence why i asked if we should do a compression test.

would a compression test verify if the head gasket is fine?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would also be looking into a malfunctioning ECU. The ECU should kill power to the engine at ~ 258*, so a bike running that far overheated definitely has some issues other than overheating (if it actually is). After starting the bike, does the temp first show in the 90's?
is there anyway to test the ecu without buying a new one?

and i'm not sure if it shows up as 90's or not, i'll have to ask him to check this weekend.

we did suspect that something was messed with in the electrical system by the past owner tho...

D

·
0 Posts
we made sure to use only fresh distilled water, and the whole system is now only filled with fresh engine ice.

the mechanic also suggested a possible problem with the head gasket, hence why i asked if we should do a compression test.

would a compression test verify if the head gasket is fine?
It may or may not. Easier to pressure test each cylinder. You can get rubber bungs or kits designed to thread into the spark plug tubes. Blow compressed air into the engine and look for bubbles coming from the radiator cap.

D

·
0 Posts
is there anyway to test the ecu without buying a new one?

and i'm not sure if it shows up as 90's or not, i'll have to ask him to check this weekend.

we did suspect that something was messed with in the electrical system by the past owner tho...
Spend a couple thousand on a HESD pocket tester or take the bike to a dealership. Will probably be charged for 1 hours labor, though you might be able to talk it down to .5h.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It may or may not. Easier to pressure test each cylinder. You can get rubber bungs or kits designed to thread into the spark plug tubes. Blow compressed air into the engine and look for bubbles coming from the radiator cap.
okay we'll try that, thank you

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, my room mate just told me that the water pump was replaced. so the entire system was replaced once. (thermostat, which was eventually removed, sensor, and water pump)

D

·
0 Posts
Has anyone checked the oil pump drive chain? That could be the issue, though there is still an electronic malfunction somewhere.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how does one check the oil pump drive chain?

also, a note about the oil. when we changed the oil and put in fresh mobile one and a new filter it took the bike much longer to over heat while idling.. not sure if thats relevant info or not (this was the last thing we did to try and fix the problem, all the other stuff we did came before this step)

D

·
0 Posts
Pull the clutch cover off and the clutch basket and inspect the chain and gears behind it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
or remove the front half of the waterpump/cover and try to turn the impella/shaft if it turns easy, either the pump drive or the drive on the back of the oil pump is stuffed. If it doesnt turn your good.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did all the same things on mine, including replacing the ECU..

Ever find a solution?
sorry i never noticed that you posted here, and yes i realize that its been a couple months lol.. anyway no we never found a solution. My room mate didn't want to replace the ecu or take the clutch out to look at the oil pump because he didn't feel like throwing money at it to fix the problem.. he didn't ride the bike at all last summer. he claims he'll start riding this summer again so we'll see if he wants to try and solve the problem. but if its not the ecu or oil pick up then the only other option at this point is to compression test it..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts