Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had my bike serviced at a local bike shop that a new friend recommended since he is friends with the owner. I had to get it towed because my bike wouldn't start and I didn't have a parking permit for it yet. So, the guy tells me that he will take care of it and tells me that the battery will be around $120 after we find out it is the battery. I felt sick about it but I went along with it. I also asked if he could lower it and he suggest that he will just lower the front forks 20mm before we even think of lowering the rear. I get a call about 5 days later (no idea why it took that long) that the previous owner or repair shop did a poor job with fork seals (probably drilled through it) and that the fork tube was shot. I ordered an entire fork and suspension off of ebay for $500 and had it for them within 3 days. I waited 6 days for them to fix it although he said it would be ready within 2. I get the bill from him and he charged me over 680 bucks.

Labor: 4.5 hours (for battery install, and installing new forks at 20mm lower) x $90 per hour on labor = $405

Battery: $159 WTF

Towing: He "accidentally" charged me for towing although I paid him the day I had it towed, which we cleared up on the spot. It was 60 bucks when I had it towed about 3 miles...

Basic break lever: $27 It snapped when I dropped it before.

2 Inch Lowering link: $70

I also got a call today from them saying that the forks I got are get squishy so they don't know if it's the suspension adjustment or if it needs fork oil. They told me that if they take it apart to check it or put in oil, it will be $120 minimum labor and $17 for the oil...

By the way, I called another shop today and they gave me a quote of $120 to install my new forks...which seems A LOT lower than this guy I went to, unless lowering the forks 20mm added a lot of labor, which I doubt since you only have to make some adjustments and install it since he was installing it anyway.

So, I ended up spending over $700 just for new battery, new forks installed at 20mm adjustment, new brake lever installed, and a lowering link(they will charge me if they also end up installing it which I think I will do on my own). This isn't even including the cost of the forks I bought at $500 plus $50 s/h. If it needs fork oil and they do it, I'll end up paying at least $140 more as well...

I'm thinking this guy ripped my ass off. Or is it a normal price? I don't think this should have taken 4.5 hours... I feel like throwing up at amount of money I just lost.

*The receipt says that minimum labor rate is $75 per hour yet I was charged $90 while he had it 4 days later than the promised date.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
yep, the stealership got you

do the work yourself from now on...
or get someone on here to help you out with it

it wouldnt surprise me if the reason they took so long was because THEY were the ones that fu*ked up the forks and couldnt find a cheap way to fix it without telling you.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
Why don't you just do all the work yourself? Man, putting new forks on literally is loosening four bolts. You ride a bike...you should be a little mechanically inclined, hopefully.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
WTF man.. u deserve it im sorry.. how cud u let them rape ur ass like that??? how? dont be spineless man..speak for yourself if you think something is shady!!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Man, you got raped. Whenever someone tells met hat "they know a friend at a dealership who'll hook it up" I make sure that they are indeed "hooking me up" by comparing the rates/estimates at other dealerships. Instead of paying $450-$600 for a 16K Mile Service, I paid $329 :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea. I should have given it more thought. I didn't know it was the battery at first and needed it towed ASAP because I didn't have a parking permit for it, it wouldn't start, and the guy was supposed to be very helpful since he is supposed to be good friends with a friend who is a cop. I think I panicked because I didn't know where to keep the bike without getting it stolen and trusted him way too much. I was just going to have him change the battery while it was there because I just wanted to get it over with; then it kept snowballing...

College midterms, 35hr work weeks, and I just got a traffic ticket last night. I haven't been able to think straight these past few days and all I can picture is me bashing people's faces in with baseball bats. As soon as I figure out whether the fork is low on oil or the suspension needs tweaking, I'm riding it back home and doing it myself. Most expensive lesson of my life. :banghead:t

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
damn man...atleast this was the realization that now you need to do your own work. I'm not mechanically inclined AT ALL but I recently bought my own stuff: tool set and rear stand so I can do stuff myself and not pay out the ass for it while they keep the bike longer than the job requires. Our riding time is limited and shops dont care.

But a service manual and some tools and you'll be able to do a lot of things yourself. Expensive lesson learned though. but $159 for a battery and install? really?? come on now..

Was this a bike shop or dealership?

·
Registered
247 Posts
You should learn how to work on your bike. The best thing about getting new parts is getting to install them yourself. If you are not sure how to install a part check the how to or ask on the forums.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
deal / steal

stealership stores my baby over the winter .. ( supposedly on my stands)
anyway orderd the MOTY mod back last year and brought her in to be put on ..
they didnt program it...
\
OK I should have just used this as an opportunity to take off my front cowl for the first time to get to the unit & do it myself..
but its still kind-a cold here so I took her in .. took my R&G sliders in with it cause
he said they probably wont charge me labor....
He said that before but they did to put the console back on ...
didnt to take it off though - go figure --

I'll be bringing that receipt back with me to pick her up..
He asked me today if I wanted to wait while the work was done.. since I didnt I got put last on the list and they are closed Sun & Mon !!!

I haven't thrown a fit there yet so I'm hoping all is well when I go back tues evening or wed to get my baby.

Wonder if I had waited if they would have gotten right to it,

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's riding fine now and my mood is slightly getting better. I'm trying to get past it and take it as a huge life lesson. I've only been able to ride it slowly since there is crazy traffic today, especially near my complex due to some massive neighborhood sponsored party.

Anyway, the suspension isn't all that soft, especially when I'm on it. I also already had my first criticism on me owning a Honda from a GSX-R600 owner. lol

Here's a pic I took of my bike I took just now before going off to work.

This is the pic of the new forks I got; not a great angle but I was just taking quick photos before work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts