Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got an 08 600rr with 2300 miles on it, and I'm interested in identifying what this particular sound might be. It happens after the bike has warmed up, and occurs at cruising speed, 7k-ish RPM.

If you've lived in rural areas, you know the after sunset sound of millions of insects, crickets, and frogs that create a wall of buzzing... it sounds kind of like that... Is this a normal sound, or should I check something?

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
next time you are on the bike , when that sound staRTS , PUSH on the dimple in the top of the tank, see if tht sorts the problem

·
Registered
72 Posts
my windscreen buzzes so much, it drives me crazy. Ive taken it off and put foam all around the edges, made sure everything was tight and i got it down so its pretty quiet, but it still will bug the heck out of me sometimes. i ride around town with one hand holding the screen to keep it quiet sometimes lol...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to pay attention to it today. It starts at about 6500 rpm, but I can only hear it until maybe 7500, as the rest of the engine noises or wind drown it out. It's not the gas tank dimple or windscreen... It's more metallic sounding. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
458 Posts
how many keys do you have on your keychain?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is my second bike, first was a honda 599, and it certainly didn't sound like this. I only have my bike key on my keychain.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
ok, I'm certain you know about maintenance, i was worried it may be your chain, but i hadn't asked yet if it was solidly RPM dependent, or coincidental to speed/rpm. the chain can really sing at moderate speed, say, 60 mph, and it does sound like a swarm of insects with a metallic zzzzzzzzz to it when it's not in good maintenance. if the sound is still there in other gears, it's drivetrain related. it's it's totally unrelated to wheelspeed, you should be able to reproduce it in 1st gear which is generally pretty slow and you can pay attention better to where it's coming from. this may be the only time i'd suggest you not ride with a helmet (if you can) to localize the sound.

D

·
0 Posts
Wait, when does 600's not sound like a swarm of insects? Watch the Moto2 races. It sounds like a swarm of angry African killer bees.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a similar sound, but mine happens when i let off the throttle and engine brake & sometime when on the throttle its a strange sound like a belt noise but metallic.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Somebody said it might be airbox resonance, I don't really understand why the airbox resonates...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts