Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really, just wondering if anyone had any ideas on getting this lock nut out of the center of the clutch?

Mine, is staked in so far that it's literally impossible to get anything underneath it to unstake it.

borrowed this picture just to illustrate which nut i'm talkin about.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I used a dremel tool to grind it out a little. But if I knew then what I know now, I'd try to just turn it. It is made to lock the nut onto the shaft but the tab on the nut is very soft metal and those threads on the shaft have been heat treated. I would almost bet that you can just remove it but you're right, it is impossible to get anything under it to pry it up.

I worked on it to try to grind all the tab off before trying to turn it and I couldn't grind any more w/o grinding the threads, When I turned it, it was way too easy, I worked too hard on trying to get the tab ground out. but do whatever you feel is best. I was doing a full rebuild so metal shavings got cleaned out later. Good luck

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
did you read my clutch how to?

it shows using the clutch holding tool as well as a giant breaker bar.
to get the staking out you use a very small screwdriver and tap it with a hammer into the stake to push it out.

the absolute last thing i would use is a dremel because i wouldnt want all those metal filings in my transmission.

or you get an impact wrench (i use an electric one) and use it to take it out. this will pop the stake out quickly without damaging anything.

dont use the impact to put it back on. there is a specific torque to the nut and an impact wont do that. you must use the holding tool by motion pro (like 20 bucks) and a torque wrench to reinstall.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, ill be working on it this weekend, so i'll let you guys know.

i'll be using an impact wrench, and i have the clutch holder. how hard is it to replace that lock nut i wonder?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
its not
i can pull a clutch out and replace in less than an hour.

impact off.
torque wrench back on

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it wasn't a big deal. off and on in an hour.

not sure if i put all the clutch plates in correctly but we'll find out.

did just like u said, impacted it off, then i didn't even use a torque wrench, i just muscled it until the stake on the locknut and the marks on the "out" washer lined up. easy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts