Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was Riding home on the freeway on my 2006 cbr 600rr. I was about 15 miles into my 20 mile ride home and I had gotten up to about 120 and the oil light on my dash turned on and the bike stalled out and front end sunk down and scared the crap out of me.

I shifted down to neutral and she started running fine again so I took it slow till my exit and everything was running normal but i was still concerned. When i began downshifting and slowing to the exit light, once i got into neutral my bike turned off and all the lights and dash died, but quickly began to restart and do the light up sequence. as soon as i tried to start her up all the lights died and i couldnt get the lights or dash to come on now matter how many times i tried.

im not sure if this is the battery? or a wiring issue. battery is about 2 years old but hasnt showed any signs of issue till today.

also i tried push starting in 2nd gear with the key in the ignition turned and she would turn over, and the dash would light up as well as headlight for about a second or 2, but fuel injection didnt seem to kick in and everything would just cut right back off.

Also while i was pushing it home and coasting in neutral the dash lights and headlights would randomly try and turn on every minute or 2 but only for a brief moment then turn right back off.

any help would be greatly appreciated as im and really confused whats going on and this is my day to day vehicle.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Try hooking your battery up to a tender overnight, and starting it again in the morning. Or get a load tester to confirm the condition of the battery. If the battery is good and holds a charge, then it could be your charging system (regulator/rectifier or stator).

Reactions: Jbillz

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
you're a dumbass. going 120 on public streets gives motorcyclists a bad name

but yes, check your battery terminals to make sure they're tight, probably wouldn't hurt to take your battery to be load tested

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,731 Posts
either battery or kill switch

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you're a dumbass. going 120 on public streets gives motorcyclists a bad name

but yes, check your battery terminals to make sure they're tight, probably wouldn't hurt to take your battery to be load tested
I usually dont go that fast, but i try to get her up there every couple months or so, i was on a rural open freeway loop with little to no cars on it on a long open stretch. thanks for the advice, gotta go get my multimeter out of storage

·
Registered
831 Posts
either battery or kill switch
^^Kill switch is definitely something to check into. I can press on mine hard enough (which isn't really that hard) while it's in the on position and kill the bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^Kill switch is definitely something to check into. I can press on mine hard enough (which isn't really that hard) while it's in the on position and kill the bike.
funny thing is i never EVER use my kill switch. its always just on, but i will definitely look into this. what would be the best way of checking it? im not sure how its wired. or where the path is

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,731 Posts
yea I just sent mine to T to redo all the contacts. had mine shut of on the eway a couple of times scared the **** out of me. after that I changed my battery, by passed the switch on the kickstand and no T redid the whole kill switch so (knock on wood) hopefully it wont stall anymore

Reactions: Jbillz

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea I just sent mine to T to redo all the contacts. had mine shut of on the eway a couple of times scared the **** out of me. after that I changed my battery, by passed the switch on the kickstand and no T redid the whole kill switch so (knock on wood) hopefully it wont stall anymore
yea it was a pretty sketchy situaton glad i was able to at least make it to the exit, had to push her home from there :I

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1. Why were you going so slow?

Could be your reg/rec is goosed so the battery has dischrged completely.
gonna look into this, sucks im in the process of moving so im in temporary apartment housing and have little tools here.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
could be something as simple as loose battery terminals. I used to drive a tow truck and saw it all the time on cars where it would make the car randomly not start/die and all it ended up being was loose battery terminals

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could be something as simple as loose battery terminals. I used to drive a tow truck and saw it all the time on cars where it would make the car randomly not start/die and all it ended up being was loose battery terminals
this is what im hoping for, but i cant get under the seat right now literally no tools ATM. i dont think it would be a alternator / stator problem as i get power when i try to push start, just not enough to fuel inject and start. is there a possibility that its the rectifier or a fuse?

·
Registered
831 Posts
You can still have leakage, causing a slow drain to the battery. Its not necessarily an on/off type failure. When did you purchase the battery, or about how old is it? Is it a crappy brand?

More than likely you have one of three scenarios: Bad battery, bad charging system, or loose connections. It died when you went to neutral because the wheel wasn't connected to the drive train (and therefore the charging system). If it were a fuse, then you wouldn't get intermittent power to the dash.

I can PM you pages of the manual (for my 03) that give instructions for troubleshooting battery/charging system issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can still have leakage, causing a slow drain to the battery. Its not necessarily an on/off type failure. When did you purchase the battery, or about how old is it? Is it a crappy brand?

More than likely you have one of three scenarios: Bad battery, bad charging system, or loose connections. It died when you went to neutral because the wheel wasn't connected to the drive train (and therefore the charging system). If it were a fuse, then you wouldn't get intermittent power to the dash.

I can PM you pages of the manual (for my 03) that give instructions for troubleshooting battery/charging system issues.
battery is about a year and a half old, i cant remember the brand off the top of my head.

**but i do have a status update!**

I was able to get the seat off and check out the battery, the previous owner had installed either some sort of lighting system, or and extension cord that hangs off the battery for easier access to tending. its seems to me that this loose cable has wiggled over time and cause the batteries lead to become loose (not the wiring screwed into the lead, but the lead itself on the battery) so when i put pressure on that lead (the positive one) and hold it down, everything starts up fine, which explains the intermittent power while i was sitting on the seat coasting.

so my next question is can i repair / tighten the lead on the battery itself, or do i just need to purchase a new one :?

p.s. thank you everyone for the support and ideas!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Bravo. Loose connection. And I have no idea about fixing a battery post. Do some google-ing.

Also, get rid of the extra wires you don't use. Thats just asking for problems imo.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
winner winner chicken dinner... told ya

post up a pic of the battery terminal because I have no idea what you're trying to describe

1 - 20 of 31 Posts