Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what's going on but my bike just started acting up on me this morning. Here is the scenario:

-I was on the ramp to get on the interstate
-Bike was at ~160 deg.
-Bike was on 2nd gear and I accelerated hard to merge with traffic.
-At about 10-12K RPM, I lost power....almost flipped over the bike cuz I wasn't expecting the engine braking (and no, I dont have a PCIII)
-When I looked down at the speedo gauge, the oil light was on.
-After about 5 seconds, the bike went back to normal.

-10 minutes later, while cruising on 5th gear at about 9K RPM, the same thing happened...oil light was on for about ~5 seconds then went back to normal again.

-Checked oil glass when I got to work and the oil level was fine. I have about ~1000 mi on the bike after the last oil change with Mobil 1 MX4T.

I called the dealer and they want me to bring the bike in...I told them I would call them if it happens again on my way back home. For my mods, I have aftermarket turn signals, razo headlights, Jardine Slip-on...and a motorcycle alarm. The alarm is wired so that if somebody tries to start the bike, the alarm will prevent the engine from starting and it will sound the alarm. Should I remove the alarm (pain in the ass since i have to de-solder the connections) before I go to the dealer?

·
Registered
379 Posts
why would you need to remove the alarm before you go to the dealer, that could be part of your problem soo i would leave it on there. What RPM is the bike ideling at??? have you ever taken off your tank or anything and pinch a fuel line. Kinda sounds like it is cutting out in high RPM, since you said both times you were in the powerband, or is it at lower 4 or 5 k also???

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about removing the alarm since they might just blame the alarm and not even look at it under warranty. I could always ride the bike after I remove the alarm to see if the problem is still there. As for the tank, I've only removed the tank cover and not the tank... and that was a while back. Besides, I always ride the powerband on the interstate since it gets me out of cager trouble faster.

I just remembered that I filled up my tank the other day and the fuel didn't look clear...it looked kinda bluish. Would bad gas do this?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I actually think bad gas could have a role in it but not sure if it woudl be your entire problem, i would just take it to the shop and have them run the diagnostics on it if it does it again, if it doesn't do it again, go get some fresh gas and seee what she does :bounce:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just remembered that I filled up my tank the other day and the fuel didn't look clear...it looked kinda bluish.
Where did u fill up? If it wasn't at a pump, it may look bluish cause its a gas/oil mix for a 2-stroke engine. Is the bike smokin right now?

·
Registered
132 Posts
darwin316 said:
I was thinking about removing the alarm since they might just blame the alarm and not even look at it under warranty. I could always ride the bike after I remove the alarm to see if the problem is still there. As for the tank, I've only removed the tank cover and not the tank... and that was a while back. Besides, I always ride the powerband on the interstate since it gets me out of cager trouble faster.

I just remembered that I filled up my tank the other day and the fuel didn't look clear...it looked kinda bluish. Would bad gas do this?
I have always noticed that when I filled up at the 76 the gas was bluish. This was in Vegas though and I have yet to do that in MD.

·
Registered
811 Posts
hmmmm around 10 grand you say??? sounds WAY too familiar. does it sorta feel like its running out of fuel??

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The gas station was Exxon...93 octane. Well, it happened again on my way home today. I was cruising at around 7-8K RPM when the oil light came on and I lost engine power for a couple of seconds. Now the bike is at the dealership... they dont know what it could be but I wrote what happened in detail so I hope they could replicate it or diagnose it. At least I'll be out of town next week so I dont have to worry about not having a bike :(

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
my friend had the same prob with his bike and the alarm that the wiring was messed up and it was shorting out the bike so his bike would cut off and cut back on while riding...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The service guy at the dealership just called and told me that he couldn't duplicate the problem on the road. But he did put the bike on the bench, attached whatever diagnostics to the bike, and found a bunch of codes popping up. He said the codes were disappearing so fast for them to find out what it was. He then disconnected the alarm from the battery and the codes disappeared. When he reconnected the alarm, the codes showed up again. So I'm picking up the bike today, with the alarm off, and i'll be testing it without the alarm. If the problems go away, I'll reconnect the alarm and see if it shows up again just to rule out anything else. The guy was cool. He said normally they would have to charge me since they cant charge honda since it wasn't a honda issue but an alarm issue. But since I bought the bike from them, he's letting it slide for now... I definitely recommend Motorcycle Factory Inc at woodbridge, VA. Awesome people :smile:

·
Registered
188 Posts
first i would say check and make sure your bikes not showing Celsius rather than Fahrenheit (sp?). sounds to me like your bikes overheating. I'd check your overflow to make sure you have enough coolant. My bike gets up to at least 190° within the first few miles of riding. Don't think i've ever cruised with an engine temp of 160°.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got the bike back from the factory...for about 20 min :( I disabled the alarm by removing the connection to the battery and rode off the dealer parking lot. As I was cruising on the interstate heading back home, the light came on again and this time the engine actually cut off. I cruised the bike to the shoulder and started her back up again. Then I took next exit and made a u-turn back to the dealership. Dont know how long they'll keep the bike and I dont know if they could even fix the problem since it's so damn sporadic. If they still cant fix the bike, imma have to trade the bike in since i'm loosing confidence riding this bike and i dont want this to happen again to me on the interstate. this blows...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I hate to bring up such an old thread but darwin if you're still on here what was the problem... My bike did the same thing today but finally wouldn't start at all and the FI/fuel pump doesn't even turn on.... I'm taking it down to the dealership tomorrow though... any info would be greatly appreciated....

·
Bike Of The Month - 09/05
1,609 Posts
Besides the oil light cames on, does the FI goes on to?
A friend of mine and a similar problem, and the honda dealer replaced the ECU as well the lambda sensor, also known has O2 sensor (you only have this sensor if you have a Cali bike with catalitic converter).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, I just checked the FI fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and now the bike runs but I have yet to road test it. I hope it was the fix but I still have an appointment w/the dealer Thursday....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts