Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had the oil mixed with coolant situation a couple weeks ago. I have been taking apart the entire cooling system and cleaning each hose out individually, the only part i couldn't get to was the left side of the radiator. I replaced the thermostat and cleaned out the housing because that had all the gunk in it as well. After putting everything back on, i started the bike with only distilled water as coolant just to check the temps and to do one last flush on the system, the bike climbed past 180F without dropping back down to 160F like it should, it then went to 220F, fan kicked on, but kept rising, it was slower, but it rose up to about 233F then i shut it off. Now could it be that the left side of the radiator having that **** in there is still causing it to overheat, or could it be something else? And when i was cleaning out the thermostat assembly, where the thermostat sits, there is a hole on the side closest to the front of the bike that had that buildup in there, i was able to get what i thought was most off it off but it couldn't tell. Please help me figure out what is wrong!! I just want to ride it again for more than 20 minutes without it overheating!

·
BOTM Winner 07/14
996 Posts
Are you sure you burpped all the air out? With the coolant cap off fill it to the brim, then stand on the left side of your bike and lean it towards you. Even running it after filling somethimes does not purge the air. Since most of the hoses that plumb from the radiator to the pump, pump to the thermostat, and cold bypass from pump to thermostat are on the left side tilting to the left makes sure they are at the lowest point in the system and helps bring any air up toward the cap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure you burpped all the air out? With the coolant cap off fill it to the brim, then stand on the left side of your bike and lean it towards you. Even running it after filling somethimes does not purge the air. Since most of the hoses that plumb from the radiator to the pump, pump to the thermostat, and cold bypass from pump to thermostat are on the left side tilting to the left makes sure they are at the lowest point in the system and helps bring any air up toward the cap.
Ok, I will try doing that and let you know. And when I took the radiator cap off it had some of the buildup on it, it was not a lot and the water still looked goo so I think that when it was running it moved some more of that gunk out. But I will try what you said and see if that fixes it, and that would explain why the thermostat wasn't opening?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts