Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my bike was stolen and recovered recently. It was found lying on its side, no idea how long. I tried starting it up and it did start, but I'm getting quite a bit of white smoke and some brown fluid leaking from the exhaust midpipe. Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this? I only left it running for a few minutes, should I leave it running and see if it burns off? Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
Check the oil level first make sure it has enough oil once confirmed you can leave it running and the smoke shold clear by itself you probably have oil on the Air box

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the oil level first make sure it has enough oil once confirmed you can leave it running and the smoke shold clear by itself you probably have oil on the Air box
Cool, thanks for the advice! That was kinda what I was thinking, I just thought the brown fluid leaking from the midpipe was really weird. I will probably give that a shot though

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
On which side was the bike laying when you tecovered it ?
Check the oil level
Check the Radiator Fluid in both the Radiator and the reservoir bottle
Take the middle fairing off and inspect the areas for signs of damage or leaks
Once you make sure there is enough fluid levels start the bike and observe for any leaking fluids .
Any questions or inquires post them here & will get you sorted out no problems

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your input! It was lying on its left side I believe. I will check those fluids and start it up and let you know. I didn't notice any damage while looking at it preliminary but I will pull the fairings and check again as well.

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
Sounds good being left on the left side means there is probably no damage to either the Radiator or the Radiator plastic reservoir bottle never less its better / safer to inspect evreything before riding off hidden damage can be a danger you are not aware of and dealing with a broken down bike on the side of the road aint happy times

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
Gam
How is it going man ? hopefully you got the bike going & all is good

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gam
How is it going man ? hopefully you got the bike going & all is good
Hey, going okay! I ran the bike for about 10 minutes yesterday and rode her around briefly. Still getting a ton of white smoke and some brown fluid leaking from the mid pipe. The exhaust smelled like something was burning. I did check the oil level prior to this and it was fine, right at the mid-line. So then I checked the air filter to see if it was soaked in oil. It didn't seem to be at all but there was definitely a pretty strong oil smell coming from that air box compartment area. Any ideas? I'm thinking about just going ahead and replacing the filter since it's apart right now anyway, but I'm not sure where to go from here as far as the white smoke.

·
Registered
155 Posts
From what I have been reading (was just looking up white smoke as mine did that but seems it was because of the cold mornings and burning off condensation).

White smoke could be coolant burning off (does it smell sweet?). If this is the case from what I have read it could be a gasket that is allowing coolant into the engine.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I have been reading (was just looking up white smoke as mine did that but seems it was because of the cold mornings and burning off condensation).

White smoke could be coolant burning off (does it smell sweet?). If this is the case from what I have read it could be a gasket that is allowing coolant into the engine.
I had read that somewhere as well, but the smell is not sweet, it has a kind of burning smell. I will check the coolant reservoir though. If it's a gasket I'm not sure how I would go about checking something like that.

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
Make sure the level of Coolant in the Radiator & the plastc Reservoir bottle is up to spec with the Middle fairings and the bike running till the fan kicks on 222F or so you would be able to visualize if there is any leaks if not a leak detection test can get you the conclusion you are seeking

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
Replacing the Air filter is a great idea keep running the bike that white smoke will eventually disappear

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Make sure the level of Coolant in the Radiator & the plastc Reservoir bottle is up to spec with the Middle fairings and the bike running till the fan kicks on 222F or so you would be able to visualize if there is any leaks if not a leak detection test can get you the conclusion you are seeking
Thanks! Yeah I am going to check the coolant for sure. I didn't like the burning smell I was getting after 10 minutes which is why I turned it off, you think I should just power through that (given that the coolant looks okay)?

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
If the coolant level and the oil level are ok and the furn does indeed turn on around 220 to 222 F and you cam physically see it spinning & hear it of course then you should not worry about overheating issues Another thing you might want to do is check up on the headers may be the smoke and the burning smell is oil resdue that got over the headers causing the smoke and the burning smell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts