Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A call for help. I'm really jammed up. My 05 suddenly died on me the other day while riding. Again today the same thing. I put it up on the stand and she cranks up just fine. Idles at 450 RPMs, ran for about 5 mins, and the bike dies as if you hit the kill switch. The headlight and center light go out and the trip meter reset.The clock kept time, the dash was lite and the oil light and oil icon came on when the bike cut off. After a few seconds the lights come back on, the fuel pump runs and I can start it right up. This happened 3 different times at temps, 120, 145, and 160. Then it ran fine for about 10 mins, the fan cycled on and off and all seems well. running fine now. Don't mean to be so wordy just trying to provide all the details.

The battery is only 6 months old and all the connections are tight. I finally get a chance to have a track day scheduled and my bike does this. Don't have the dough to bring it to a shop, but will find a way in order to make it to the track.

Any ideas ladies and gents?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Wow, could you have a loose connection from something recently done?

Loose Ground?

Any elec.mods?

More info on Battery? possibly defective? shouldn't be if you can restart after a few minutes.......

Sorry, have an 09....not familiar w/05.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately no recent work. I haven't done any electrical work or mods to the bike in over a year. I haven't had the battery tested but, it immediately cranks strong and the headlights don't dim.

I'm at a lost. thanks.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
07+ has a killswitch issue. causes something like you describe.....

to fix:

open switch clean contacts with emery paper.
grease with dielectric grease...
remount and reassemble switch.
never use killswitch again!
use ign key to stop/start bike.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep reading about the BAS, but what is it and more importantly does anyone know if the 05 has one?

I rarely use the kill switch, and do you think a short there would cause the trip meter to reset and the head light to cut off?

I'll give it a try to see if it fixes it. I'm also going to try to check for a loose ground today. thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ifound on the left side what looks to be a yellow ground block, since it has all green wires in it. The top left green wire is melting the yellow plastic block. I would post a pic but cannot figure out how.

Any ideas on how to track what ground that wire is for? I'm hoping if I can trace it out it might lead to where the short is.

I'm guessing this take an electrical guru or a shop visit.:banghead:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found that the ground wire that was melting is tied to my headlights. I'm guessing that for some reason it's overheating, causing the bike to short out and die.

Is that even possible?

I checked the fuse for the headlight it's good. It also gets really hot when I turn on the high beam. So with no bulbs it appears not to overheat and die. I'm going to run more tests tomorrow.

Any idea what might cause the headlights to run really hot? the bulbs are 12vt 55W H7, not stock i know, but they came with the bike when i got it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
NuttyNu Had this problem and he cut the connector off and soldered all the green ground wires together. Wrapped in electrical tape or shrink tubing and he said all works perfectly now.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I found that the ground wire that was melting is tied to my headlights. I'm guessing that for some reason it's overheating, causing the bike to short out and die.

Is that even possible?

I checked the fuse for the headlight it's good. It also gets really hot when I turn on the high beam. So with no bulbs it appears not to overheat and die. I'm going to run more tests tomorrow.

Any idea what might cause the headlights to run really hot? the bulbs are 12vt 55W H7, not stock i know, but they came with the bike when i got it.
I'm no electrician but wires can melt, my understanding is if a wire is too thin for the voltage going through it it'll get hot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cbrkat 28, you're right if the wire gauge is too small it can overheat and melt due to the current, but all of my wiring for the headlights is stock.

dehingst-- was he ground block melting as well? it makes me nervous if it gets that hot if it could or would burn anything else out?

does anyone have a wiring diagram for the lights or the whole electrical thing?

thanks again guys for the your help:thumbup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dehingst, i did the same thing pretty much. Cut the bad ground wires and soldered and taped them. i think the ground was arcing inside that yellow block. I also replaced the headlight relay just in case. All seems good now.

thanks again guys

·
BOTM Winner 10/16
296 Posts
dehingst, i did the same thing pretty much. Cut the bad ground wires and soldered and taped them. i think the ground was arcing inside that yellow block. I also replaced the headlight relay just in case. All seems good now.

thanks again guys
Where did you end up grounded that head light wire that was causing the yellow box to melt? I'm starting to think my HID's is what messed up my bike...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts