Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy has a 2002 cbr 600, the problem is it wont run, replaced fuel regulator and it still wont run, switched out the relays, nothing, but when we jumpered it the bike ran, any ideas? the original relay gives 12v to the fuel pump but only puts out .8 volts, but when we jumpered it, it runs, now we swapped the relays and still nothing? so it cant be the relay, it ran before but really crappy, thought it might be a bent/stuck mis aligned valve because it had been dropped its his first bike, he took it to the dealer and they replaced the fuel reg and still ran like crap so we are trying to pinpoint the problem, any help will do, thanks.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
the original relay gives 12v to the fuel pump but only puts out .8 volts, but when we jumpered it, it runs, now we swapped the relays and still nothing? so it cant be the relay.
So, when you use jumper cables and jump start a vehicle, What basically are you doing?

You are hooking a known functioning battery to your vehicle. Then it starts.
When you unhook that same known good battery and the bike doesn't start... that leads to one and only one problem... Any guesses anyone????????

Bueller???
Bueller???
Bueller???

For the math people...

....................................bike alone = SUCK
bike with good battery attached = SWEET
..........................bike alone again = SUCK

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
so you are saying it is as simple as the battery? because i was thinking the diode, the BAS or the ignition because it has a sensor thats a anti theft device, or is it on these older bikes? we pull back in tomorrow so i guess i will give it a shot, could the fuel pump be bad? but if it was it wouldnt start at all right? and if it was the battery wouldnt it not start even if it was jumpered. i mean it could be the ECM, the wiring harness?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
When you trun your bike on and then you're only getting .8 volts... it has to be the battery. Does your clock show the wrong time cause it has been reset? If yes... then definitely the battery.

EDIT... Some of those details might be specific to the RR only and not an F4i. Simple test. turn the bike on and then check the voltage at the battery. If it's that low... then the battery is gone...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you trun your bike on and then you're only getting .8 volts... it has to be the battery. Does your clock show the wrong time cause it has been reset? If yes... then definitely the battery.

EDIT... Some of those details might be specific to the RR only and not an F4i. Simple test. turn the bike on and then check the voltage at the battery. If it's that low... then the battery is gone...

oh i understand what you are saying, not sure if he tested the battery...have to ask, but the thing is there is 12v goin into the fuel pump, but only .8v coming out but jumpering past the relay the bike runs, but we swapped relays and it still wont start. i will def ask if he checked the battery.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah it is

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Ok, well a relay has 4 wires. Two to make it actuate ( low power consumption) and two for the switch that gets actuated. ( higher power output)

It would be easiest to have a wiring diagram to see where the wires come from to know why one drops to .8V. I know how one is wired on the RR but not the F4i...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i know what you are saying i am new to the f4i too but its def a good learning experience to do this, i think when he jumped it he fried the diode, which he has to wait for to come in the mail...so we are hoping that fixes the problem. he also is going to bypass the bas sensor, how does he do that is t the same as on the 600rr?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts