Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought my 09 off a guy with 1600 miles on it. When I came to get the bike we could not start the bike because I think I or the guy's buddy hit the kill switch. After cranking on it, letting it sit, and trying a variety of things we did get it started. This past week I have only used the key switch and it has worked flawlessly. On friday i went to get it inspected, and after the **** talking harley rider got done taking it for a spin, he turned it off with the damn kill switch. I could not get it started and had to take it home in my truck. When I got it home I put the battery charger on it and checked all of the fuses(which were fine). Right after that it started. None of this makes any sense to me and it seems like something is up. Maybe I need to take apart the switch and check for a loose connection? Please let me know what you guys think. For the record the bike starts and stops perfectly fine if i just use the key switch. It is only when I use the kill switch, the bike will not start back up right away.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Did the bike sit for a extended period of time before you bought it from the guy? Seems like a dead battery and when you hit the kill switch and try to start it with using it the fuel pump primes and kills the battery? I could be wrong. Welcome to the forum

D

·
0 Posts
Pull the kill switch apart, clean the contacts, put it back together, then never touch it again unless you really need to.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think thats it because for a while it has plenty of juice to turn it over, its just after i had been cranking on it for about a minute on and off it started getting low so I stopped and took it home on the truck.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Pull the kill switch and fix the contacts.. It's a real easy fix. T

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pull the kill switch and fix the contacts.. It's a real easy fix. T
Do you think they just have some residue on them from sitting around or is there something I should do like re solder them?

D

·
0 Posts
Power for the headlights run through the switch, so it's not uncommon for them to corrode or pit.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
From what we have seen. 3 bikes so far. Just remove the switch and look at the contact area, for some reason the contact patch isn't a very strong area, if you bend it to make better contact it will work fine. I have 07 clips on's that just came in, I will make sure to take pictures while I confirm the contacts are good on this set. T

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the help guys. I will check on this when I get a chance to work on my bike tonight. I wonder why this didn't happen with the earlier year CBRs?

D

·
0 Posts
It happens to earlier CBR's, and usually nearly every other bike Honda makes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So is this something you guys periodically inspect and fix?

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
this is a common honda problem, just don't use the kill switch EVURRR

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I do use my kill switch, to solve the issue I have rerouted those lines through a high power automotive relay the kill switch just turns it on/off, with the lower current going through the kill switch there is no more problem and the relay is a hell of a lot cheaper than a kill switch.

The only real reason I did it is because I don't like the idea of something on my bike not working the way it is supposed to.

Your problem is that it just needs cleaning.

Care of Demented in an old thread about this same problem:

All you need is a small philips screwdriver and a pocket flathead, or anything flat like a razor blade, etc.

1)Turn your bars to full left lock. Makes it easier to remove the kill switch screws.
2) Pop the kill switch off the bars. You're after the switch assembly inside the housing. There's 4 small tabs that you can see through the side of the housing, 2 on each side. Push the tabs in and pry the switch out from the housing with the flathead.

3)With the switch out, pop the two pieces apart. There will be two tabs, one on each side. Here's one side popped off.

4) That will expose the contact points. You can see a little bit of pitting on my copper contacts and some grime on the silver ones. Clean off the contacts, and if needed, polish up the copper contacts with some fine grit sandpaper to get rid of excessive pitting.

5) Put together in reverse order.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awesome thanks for this thread my starts again. It was easy to take apart and clean and fix.

·
Registered
697 Posts
WARNING DUMB QUESTION AHEAD:

If you have to manually hit the kill switch, and manually turn off with the key, then why even have a kill switch?

I suppose there are times when you'd want the lights on with the motor off, but how often is that really? Why not just have the key?

D

·
0 Posts
WARNING DUMB QUESTION AHEAD:

If you have to manually hit the kill switch, and manually turn off with the key, then why even have a kill switch?

I suppose there are times when you'd want the lights on with the motor off, but how often is that really? Why not just have the key?
Simply, "oh ****" moments. Like the MSF teaches. It's easier to hit the kill switch then take a hand off the bars to turn the key.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts