Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

As the title states the bike won't start in first gear..I've always started in neutral but recently tried starting in 1st but it won't turn over & the high-beams click off & on when I hit start..Runs fine other than that.

Any idea what the issue may be?? There's no mods on it (yet) & everything is intact, <6k miles.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
And pull in the clutch lol

If it won't start with the clutch pulled and kickstand up make sure your wires are connected securely to the switch on the clutch perch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all,

Yep kickstand is definitely up..Where exactly is the kickstand switch? Sorry I don't know everything mechanically but I'm learning!

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
And pull in the clutch lol

If it won't start with the clutch pulled and kickstand up make sure your wires are connected securely to the switch on the clutch perch
EDIT:

Just went into the garage & a tiny connector was pulled out...plugged in & now it works! Thanks so much! Buuuuut..

I had the hardest time kicking it down into 1st, I mean it would not budge. This actually happened to me a couple days ago sitting in traffic when pulling from a stop..My local shop said it might need a transmission fluid change, any possible quick solution?

Thanks again!

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
The tranny shares oil with the engine.

It won't go into first with the bike running? If you are in neutral and hold the clutch pulled for too long its possible for the input shaft to align pawls in your transmission. Just release the clutch, then pull it in again and shift into first soon after.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It won't go into first with the bike running? If you are in neutral and hold the clutch pulled for too long its possible for the input shaft to align pawls in your transmission. Just release the clutch, then pull it in again and shift into first soon after.
Hey,

Yep, for example I'll be sitting at a red light behind cars for a long time & usually sit in neutral. When it's time to go I'll pull in the clutch & shift down into first but it will stay in neutral..My hand isn't on the clutch at all while I'm waiting so I'm not sure why it would hiccup like that?

Thank you very much!

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Does the shift lever travel its full distance? Or does it feel tight? If you let go of the clutch and try again does it go in?

If the lever feels like it doesn't travel its full stroke, try letting the clutch out a bit while LIGHTLY holding pressure on the lever. It should drop in.

Worst case you may have a bent shift fork. This can happen if you apply too much pressure to the shift lever while the transmission is still loaded. If you had a bend fork you would get a full lever travel but not a positive engagement.

Bent forks are often a result of people 'pre loading' the lever before initiating the shift with the clutch or rolling off the throttle. Don't do this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the shift lever travel its full distance? Or does it feel tight? If you let go of the clutch and try again does it go in?

If the lever feels like it doesn't travel its full stroke, try letting the clutch out a bit while LIGHTLY holding pressure on the lever. It should drop in.

Worst case you may have a bent shift fork. This can happen if you apply too much pressure to the shift lever while the transmission is still loaded. If you had a bend fork you would get a full lever travel but not a positive engagement.

Bent forks are often a result of people 'pre loading' the lever before initiating the shift with the clutch or rolling off the throttle. Don't do this.
Hey,
I don't give the clutch a death grip or anything, but it pulls in & lets out 100% from what I can tell..It's kind of late so I'll see if I can check it out again tomorrow.

How long since your last oil change?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Last year, I was thinking to do one since it did a lot of sitting while I was gone.

EDIT: Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shift lever. Not clutch lever
Hey,

Whoops my bad..The shift lever bounces back when trying to shift down as if it doesn't fully travel full stroke, funny enough it shifts up into 2nd no problem! I never shift up/down without pulling the clutch, hopefully it isn't a bent fork.

I'll defintely give it a go around town tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. Thanks so much!

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
The only other thing I'd have a look at is a binding linkage. Make sure that the rod between the shift lever and the shift link will rotate slightly. (Imaging rolling a pencil between your fingers) do the same to that rod. The joints at the top and bottom should be in line and move together. If they aren't get two 10mm wrenches and loosen the jam nuts then set it so the links are in line. One end of the shaft has left hand threads so be careful when you loosen the parts. If it doesn't move try the other way

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had the hardest time kicking it down into 1st, I mean it would not budge. This actually happened to me a couple days ago sitting in traffic when pulling from a stop..My local shop said it might need a transmission fluid change, any possible quick solution?

Thanks again!

Are you engine braking our coming to a stop and shifting into neutral?

If its this rock it back & forth to align the gears

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Rocking it back and forth when its running will accomplish the exact same thing as what I suggested. Hence the reason I asked if it was running

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Would you drive your car and while accelerating pull on the shifter knowing damn well that everything in the transmission is locked up solid? Of course not. Why do it to a bike that has MUCH MUCH more delicate internals

1 - 20 of 21 Posts