Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 CBR600RR.... I lowsided it at a trackday at Spring Mountain a while ago, and it pulverized the left side of the bike when it slid off the track.

Anyway, at first the fuel pump wouldn't prime at all when you turned it on, so obviously the bike wouldn't start. I traced that to a busted relay. OK, so I took it for a test ride and it seems fine, except that it won't start if in gear (with kick stand up).

If in neutral, it starts up and then I can shift into gear and away I go.

At first I was thinking maybe it thinks the kickstand is down, but then it would shut off as soon as I'd kick it into first, no?

Anyway, just picking some brains here.... to see what I might be able to trace the issue to. Just some more points:

- The fan wire broke in the crash.... wouldn't think this is the issue... and it is still broken.
- The tip over sensor is well secured
- The start up procedure doesn't seem to have changed.... if in neutral.
- When in gear, the bike doesn't even try to start.... it's as though I have the ignition turned off.

Thanks in advance. FYI, won't be able to check back for a few days.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Assuming u r trying to start in gear, u have the kickstand up, I would check the sensor in the stand. Possibly a problem. Granted I'm spitballing right now

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the switch in the clutch lever, think its broken

Marko
Marko - actually that would make sense. I do pull in the clutch lever... had the bike since 2007.

I'll check that, and I'm thinking you're on the right track.

Cheers,
Marco (good name.. haha)

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Marko - actually that would make sense. I do pull in the clutch lever... had the bike since 2007.

I'll check that, and I'm thinking you're on the right track.

Cheers,
Marco (good name.. haha)
If the kickstand kills the engine when lowered then the sensor is fine. Seems like the clutch sensor is the problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Check the switch in the clutch lever, think its broken

Marko
The bike should still start in neutral if it was broken though, wouldn't it? Thought the switch was for if it is in gear?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts