Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 04 starter I bought from ebay came in the mail today. I opened it up, cleaned up the commutator, replaced the brushes, and cleaned up the housing and bearings. I installed it in the bike and it fired right up. I let it idle til it got up to 180 degrees, turned it off, turned it on again and it fired right back up. Then I let it idle up to 220 degrees, turned it off, turned it on and it fired right back up again. Problem solved. No more hot start issues. Oh, and thanks Doug @MotyDesign for my new 8 cell battery. My bike has the strongest starts ever now...love it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
220 in 10 minutes in a garage is not the same as with real life 220 for a lot of time, in a hot sunny summer day, after a lot of slow city driving with 1st gear, while fan starts and stops a lot of times and battery, together with the whole bike, gets very hot. Did you try cranking it in this situation?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Bump for an old thread

I'm bumping this thread because there may be some folks, like myself... who buy a relatively unused 03/04 cbr600rr from an original owner... who tells you about the "bike wont' start when hot" story that he never got resolved.. and just worked around it by sitting and waiting 20 minutes if/when it happened.

This thread is full of so much information, but most of it is downright rubbish. So for anyone who HAS THIS PROBLEM, where the bike starts fine when cold, yet barely cranks and won't fire when HOT, let me clarify the simple fix.. so you don't go down the garden path as posted above in the thread.

1. Starter. First off, this is riduclous to think that the starter gets hot and won't turn. Whomever came up with that, is just dumb.
2. Stator. These bikes have stators that do fail. This has NOTHING to do with the symptoms you would get.
3. Grounds. While maintaining clean grounds is important, this has nothing to do with a voltage drop due to crappy grounds.
4. Battery. This is NOT happening because your battery is crap. Your battery may be crap BECAUSE of the problem, but it's NOT THE CAUSE.

This problem occurs EXCLUSIVELY and WIHTOUT QUESTION as a result of the REGULATOR RECTIFIER. The unit works fine when cold, but does not function correctly once it's hot as hell. When that happens, the bike doesn't maintain enough current back to the battery to keep it fully charged. After extended heat and ride time, the battery is to the point when you turn the bike off, that it does not have the umph to turn the starter.

The bike cooling down and running has nothing to do with the engine, the starter, or the starter cooling down. It has to do with the battery sitting for a bit and the voltage and amperage spiking as it always does when it sits, if it's been discharged down somewhat.

I had to laugh when I read the crap over the internet about this problem. Some folks are as dumb as rocks - and others try to make some complex problem out of one that - if you simply grab a basic multimeter, allows you to figure it in 1 attempt.

Carry on. The answer is now here for everyone to read that may need some assistance.

DO NOT BUY A HONDA OEM REG/REC. Get one from Rick's motorsport.. they are about $150 bucks and designed specifically to be more resistant to temperature due to the CBR location. Installation is about 20 minutes, get some dielectric grease.. and cut back the wire housing to split the two leads for easier and cleaner installation.

Starter motor... what a

It seems to always be the R/R. I LOVE MY 6RR'S,03,05,&06 and and they seem to love to eat R/R's and its new snack is the FI fuse. Good luck to you all. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the 06 did eat a starter last year. Toasted brushes. 1 more thing when I replaced the R/R with a ricks unit I relocated it to where the horn mounts originally and the other bikes with an oem also relocated problems since have disappeared. Not saying it will work for all but worth a shot. It worked for me and if I didn't have bad luck I'd have none at all. P.S. I hate auto correct

·
Registered
196 Posts
Last time. While I was having these issues I did swap batteries from an regular electrolyte filled to my ballistics lithium while hot and still had the same results

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same Problem

Same problem with an 05RR.

So far I have replaced the battery. Read this whole thread with conflicting answers. I have seen all the issues it could be. My question is where do I go from here to not waste money on parts that don't need to be replaced?

So first thing, battery replaced. No fix.

What you guys suggest for my next step? Wires and relays? Starter? R/R? Stator?

Thanks in advance

Moose

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi, one thing about heat is it will build up resistance in a wire, one way round this is to install a thicker gauge wire from the starter relay to the starter motor, also to give the battery a fair chance, a thicker wire from the starter motor body to the negative pole on the battery , maybe a cheaper fix than throwing a lot of money at it, just my thoughts:wink2:

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,912 Posts
not very much though. copper increases resistance around 0.3% per degree C

so even if the wire is 100 degrees C, it would only be 30% more resistive.

the gauge of wire from the starter is #8 awg, which has a resistance of around 0.6 ohms per 1000 feet.

the 3 foot length in your bike, even if at 100 C, won't increase resistance appreciably enough to cause problems. the i^2*r losses are marginal at best. the starter doesn't draw that much.

however, ground faults in the starter will cause the current to go through the roof, so you may have symptoms of a dying battery when the issue is actually something else.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,912 Posts
You'd have to get the bike to repeat the behavior and then test.

The internet can't tell you everything unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
So no actual suggestions on what to check next other than wire gauge info?
You’re looking for someone to come in and say replace this and you’ll be golden, not happening.

I reread the thread, lots of info info there that pertains to you and your symptom, not much conflicting other than a discussion refuting someone stating it’s ALWAYS the RR (hint, it’s not).

Couple things to look at:

- Check your charging system
- open the end cap on the starter looking for old brush dust and crap, clean it out.
- the 03-06 models had a yellow ground plug somewhere under the tank or towards the front that gets iffy. Fix that by tying all the wires together solidly.
- read the service manual

·
Registered
44 Posts
You’re looking for someone to come in and say replace this and you’ll be golden, not happening.

I reread the thread, lots of info info there that pertains to you and your symptom, not much conflicting other than a discussion refuting someone stating it’s ALWAYS the RR (hint, it’s not).

Couple things to look at:

- Check your charging system
- open the end cap on the stater looking for old brush dust and crap, clean it out.
- the 03-06 models had a yellow ground plug somewhere under the tank or towards the front that gets iffy. Fix that by tying all the wires together solidly.
- read the service manual
Thank you. That's a good place to start. Wasn't looking for someone to tell me exactly what it is because obviously it could be many different things. Just looking for the best place to start looking/testing.

That yellow plug on the left side for all the ground wires I removed last year. It melted. Connected all the ground wires together and soldered them. Apparently that yellow plug has a tendency to fail and is only there for technicians to plug in and test the ground wires.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Maybe I should open that up again and make sure that my soldering job is holding. Maybe a ground wire came out.
Might be a good place to start.

Also note: I had a typo in my original post, you should pull the cap on the starter, not stator. You should check the stator, however.

·
Registered
44 Posts
yeah but that's triumph. what a joke of a manufacturer.
Haha I was going to comment on that... but ya beat me to it.

I guess I'll strip her apart, check my ground wires and my relay connection points between the batt and the starter first to see if they're corroded or anything like that

61 - 80 of 108 Posts