Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yeah but that's triumph. what a joke of a manufacturer.
Huh, I have to disagree. My last two Triumphs have been built very well, and I had no troubles with them at all. I would say they are built as well as a Thailand built Honda for sure, and I'd even say the Japanese ones, too..

My Ducati on the other hand......they've handled everything very quickly but still.....

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,912 Posts
I have no comment on Ducati.

I like to joke about anything from the UK. That country is so ******* broken it's hilarious.

Not in my life would I ever buy anything from a British manufacturer. Not a chance in hell.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,912 Posts
haha except i've been to the uk many times. my folks are from there, my brother lives there. most arrogant race on the planet bar none. the entire place still thinks it's the 1800s and they own the world. I'd love for you to tell me about my glass house, though.

If you'd like to continue with your bad advice, feel free, I'll be here to set it straight.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I dont pretend to be an expert, this is a Forum where people come for advice, if my advice is sometimes wrong then I sure someone can correct it , but at least I offer advice rather than making someone look foolish because they asked the question, so if your talking about arrogance take a good look at yourself my friend

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,912 Posts
no... i've just been here for 6 years trying to help people wade through the bad advice that permeates these boards.

there used to be a bunch of pretty savvy people here, but they're mostly inactive now. there are maybe 4 or 5 people here whose advice you can count on.

the triumph remark was a joke for a couple of reasons. partly because they're so easy to hate and party because the british stuff is so famously bad for electrics. you're new so you don't understand my brand and that's fine, but i stand by my triumph sucks, and so does the UK.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I used to ride Triumph ,BSA . Nortons in the 60s and 70s never had one since, and as for wiring you know yourself that Honda wiring is rubbish, that is why we are on the forum, mainly electrical faults, I only have Honda's though and I can strip one down and rebuild it , so not quite a novice

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,912 Posts
no.... most of the issues here are self-inflicted by the owner. had you been here longer than a week or so you'd realize this. congratulations on your aptitude. would you like a ribbon?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you check voltage or just the physical part?
At that point just the physical part.
So keep in mind brand new battery. Here are my voltage tests...

Cold before start... 11.84
Started.... 14.28
Running at 46C... 11.44
Running at 66C.... 11.35
Running at 74C.... 11.23
Running at 92C.... 11.15
Running at 101C... 11.08
Running at 104C when fans kicked in 10.91

Then I went to give it some throttle to get it to heat up a little more and just before i twisted the throttle she turned off. And wouldn't start. Mimics dead battery

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
At that point just the physical part.
So keep in mind brand new battery. Here are my voltage tests...

Cold before start... 11.84
Started.... 14.28
Running at 46C... 11.44
Running at 66C.... 11.35
Running at 74C.... 11.23
Running at 92C.... 11.15
Running at 101C... 11.08
Running at 104C when fans kicked in 10.91

Then I went to give it some throttle to get it to heat up a little more and just before i twisted the throttle she turned off. And wouldn't start. Mimics dead battery
Ok, so all of that info is indicative of a bad battery (knowing full well you said yours was new) and possibly a bad stator or RR or both. You did some of the testing, so let’s start at the beginning.

Your resting battery voltage should be much closer to 13V, like 12.8 or so, really anything below 12V if it’s just sitting there is considered a dead battery. Was it charged fully prior to install? How about before your above testing? If not you needed to do that first.

Once the bike is started, your charging voltage of 14.28 is about what you’d expect. The fact it’s dropping could be the stator not providing enough juice, the RR heating up and failing or the fact that the battery is so bad it is “sapping” all the power the system is producing and it’s overdrawing the available current in the system which is why your voltage is low.

So what is the voltage the stator is putting out on all of it’s phases? Or better yet, have you followed the instructions in the service manual for checking the charging system?

Unless you start at step 1 and do all the steps, you’re guessing. You’ve sorta done steps 1 and 2, you needed to start with a freshly charged, known good battery to get accurate results. It’s now time to do steps 3-8.

·
Registered
44 Posts
  1. Ok, so all of that info is indicative of a bad battery (knowing full well you said yours was new) and possibly a bad stator or RR or both. You did some of the testing, so let’s start at the beginning.

Your resting battery voltage should be much closer to 13V, like 12.8 or so, really anything below 12V if it’s just sitting there is considered a dead battery. Was it charged fully prior to install? How about before your above testing? If not you needed to do that first.

Once the bike is started, your charging voltage of 14.28 is about what you’d expect. The fact it’s dropping could be the stator not providing enough juice, the RR heating up and failing or the fact that the battery is so bad it is “sapping” all the power the system is producing and it’s overdrawing the available current in the system which is why your voltage is low.

So what is the voltage the stator is putting out on all of it’s phases? Or better yet, have you followed the instructions in the service manual for checking the charging system?

Unless you start at step 1 and do all the steps, you’re guessing. You’ve sorta done steps 1 and 2, you needed to start with a freshly charged, known good battery to get accurate results. It’s now time to do steps 3-8.
    Brand new battery, Couldn't say if it was full charge at the time i tested as the bike sat for 2 weeks without being started. I don't have a service manual. I will charge the battery and start again. How do I check what voltage the stator is putting out though?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

1. Brand new battery, Couldn't say if it was full charge at the time i tested as the bike sat for 2 weeks without being started. I don't have a service manual. I will charge the battery and start again. How do I check what voltage the stator is putting out though?
Charge your battery before going further. Then search on the forum for a downloadable service manual and follow its procedure. There also USA sticky on the forum with all the info as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Charge your battery before going further. Then search on the forum for a downloadable service manual and follow its procedure. There also USA sticky on the forum with all the info as well.
Okay so charged the battery.
Cold 13.31
Started 17.75
60c ... 16.50
80c... 17.20
100c...16.50
104c fans kick in 14.45

The difference I noticed was the other day when testing when I would give it throttle to warm up the voltage would go down. Today when I would give it throttle the voltage would go up.

Going to download a service manual as well.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Okay so charged the battery.
Cold 13.31
Started 17.75
60c ... 16.50
80c... 17.20
100c...16.50
104c fans kick in 14.45

The difference I noticed was the other day when testing when I would give it throttle to warm up the voltage would go down. Today when I would give it throttle the voltage would go up.

Going to download a service manual as well.
It would appear your voltage regulator has failed, however do all the tests in the manual to be sure.

·
Registered
134 Posts
no.... most of the issues here are self-inflicted by the owner. had you been here longer than a week or so you'd realize this. congratulations on your aptitude. would you like a ribbon?

Mate, your attitude sucks.
Your contempt of members here is astounding, i have never come across anyone on any forum that is as arrogant and so full of self importance as you are....

I'll say that your "help" to members is often correct and yes, because of that it's "helpful" but that doesn't make the obnoxious self aggrandising and down right offensive bull you post any more acceptable.

Do you even read what you've written before you post?

No doubt the 4 or 5 members that you regard as useful (aside from yourself) are your alter egos, but that doesn't mean everyone else is a moron who sabotages their own bikes, lighten up, read your posts before hitting reply and ask yourself if
A. would you be offended if that was aimed at you?
B. would you be able to say that to the person face to face?
if you can't answer yes to both of those without lying to yourself then how about a rethink and a rephrase of your reply, because there's no "tone" on a keyboard, and sarcasm, if that's what you attempt to convey, comes across like you're just being a knob.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts