Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i went riding/training for an hour or better. Longest i ever rode since i bought it last week. When i finished & went to start it to put it inside,it just turn over & wouldn't start. The headlights usually comes on when the key is turned on,but they don't. WHAT COULD THIS BE? I bought a new battery when i purchased the bike,then had it charged @ the local auto parts store.This is my first bike & i'm clueless.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Doesn't sound like your fuel pump is coming on "Whining noise when you put it to run". Check your fuses behind the left mid fairing to see if the headlight one is blown.. Fuel pump might be a lose connection at the battery or the run/stop switch is not making contact.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't sound like your fuel pump is coming on "Whining noise when you put it to run". Check your fuses behind the left mid fairing to see if the headlight one is blown.. Fuel pump might be a lose connection at the battery or the run/stop switch is not making contact.
Thanks,i will check those areas! i appreciate the leads...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Do you have any type of immobilizer/kill switch?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Your bike won't start till you hear your fuel pump whine.
Has the bike been down or the front been worked on? BAS between the headlight would keep the fuel pump from turning on but if it's working fine then I would guess your fuel pump is bad or unplugged.. Wire is under the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Sounds like you have a ground issue, if you don't have a multimeter pull the plug off one of the headlights (low beam is my favourite :dontknow:) and run a piece of wire from the black wire in the plug to a good solid point on the frame (that isn't covered in paint) or the negative terminal on the battery, then try start the bike.

If it starts you have an issue in the ground wire running from the front of the bike down to a yellow box that can be found on the left hand side just next to your seat. It may be wrapped up onto the harness but it does stand out like a sore thumb, and has been a common point to have issues.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Your bike won't start till you hear your fuel pump whine.
Has the bike been down or the front been worked on? BAS between the headlight would keep the fuel pump from turning on but if it's working fine then I would guess your fuel pump is bad or unplugged.. Wire is under the gas tank.
I dont hear the pump whine anymore either. No the bike hasn't been down.to my knowledge. BTW,i like your products

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like you have a ground issue, if you don't have a multimeter pull the plug off one of the headlights (low beam is my favourite :dontknow:) and run a piece of wire from the black wire in the plug to a good solid point on the frame (that isn't covered in paint) or the negative terminal on the battery, then try start the bike.

If it starts you have an issue in the ground wire running from the front of the bike down to a yellow box that can be found on the left hand side just next to your seat. It may be wrapped up onto the harness but it does stand out like a sore thumb, and has been a common point to have issues.

would this stop the fuel pump from coming on? Im new at this so excuse the clueless comments. I wish it could be this simple

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
would this stop the fuel pump from coming on? Im new at this so excuse the clueless comments. I wish it could be this simple
Yep, it certainly will.

The BAS is up in the front fairing, it's just a switch that sits on the ground side of the engine stop relay, so if it doesn't have a good ground going to it the engine stop relay won't come on so your fuel cut relay wont come on and the fuel pump wont prime.

What other symptoms is the bike showing?

Kill switch could also be the culprit...

·
Registered
555 Posts
im having the same problem. not tryin to tread jack but we took off all the fairing, headlight, taillight, and signals, not it also wont start. were going to put everything back on one by one an see if it helps...

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
im having the same problem. not tryin to tread jack but we took off all the fairing, headlight, taillight, and signals, not it also wont start. were going to put everything back on one by one an see if it helps...
You took of the BAS, that's why yours won't start... little box mounted behind the headlights...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, it certainly will.

The BAS is up in the front fairing, it's just a switch that sits on the ground side of the engine stop relay, so if it doesn't have a good ground going to it the engine stop relay won't come on so your fuel cut relay wont come on and the fuel pump wont prime.

Im convinced its a ground somewhere. jus by the way its acting,still don't know where could it be. It just turns over but won't start & i don't hear the whine noise i used to hear when the key is on. No headlights.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, it certainly will.

Do you have a picture of the BAS thing,i read elsewhere that this what it could be...but can't identify it on the bike

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I didn't hear your fuel pump prime. The guys above me gave some good advice already.

·
Registered
901 Posts

I agree 100% with "Ground Issue". Same thing happen to me when I purchased my 2005 a while ago. Road it for the first day for about 1-2hrs. Then went to start it up then next day and the fuel pump was not priming, headlight was out, and i believe the running light was out as well... Ended up being a ba ground in the front headlight harness I believe... I will look for my thread if it is still around...

·
Registered
901 Posts

Nico I think you are 100% right. This is acually exactly what I ended up doing to fix mine. I ran a wire from low beam bulb plug (black wire) to the battery bracket for a good grround, and it started right up...

I would def recommeded trying this and it should start right up from the sounds of it...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts