Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I just swapped my 04 with a 03 motor, same wiring harness and everything just finished it, and it won't stay running past 100° it just keeps shutting off (new battery stator and rectifier) ran the codes and replaced the sensors it called for. (Did nothing to fix the issue) and now I'm gonna change the ecu and spark plugs. Anyone had this problem and somehow fixed it? I'm completely lost and out of ideas, I've tried everything.....

· Super Moderator
11,724 Posts
Give us some more info on what the bike is actually doing when it shuts off. Does it just fail to idle? Can you keep it running by managing the throttle? What codes came up and what did you replace?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Give us some more info on what the bike is actually doing when it shuts off. Does it just fail to idle? Can you keep it running by managing the throttle? What codes came up and what did you replace?
It will get to about 100° and then just shut off, and then I turn it back on and it will turn off again in a matter of seconds. if I hold the throttle steady it will try to die, but stay alive. the codes that came up were for my ecu, unless I'm reading it wrong. So I'm gonna swap that and see. Does anyone know how to reset the codes? so I can see if they're old or not.

· Registered
885 Posts
Don't reset codes. You want to fix the issues that throws codes. Then codes will go away on their own. What codes did you get?

Also codes DO NOT say sensor is bad. It says that sensor's CIRCUIT is bad. Meaning you must go through manual's testing process for entire CIRCUIT. Test ground wire connection. Test 5v reference voltage to sensor. Test output signal wire to ECU. Sensors are fine since you replaced perfectly-working sensors with brand-new perfectly-working sensors and nothing changed. Do rest of CIRCUIT wire tests according to manual. Most of time, it's broken wires or corroded connectors.

Might also be some other wiring issue. 100C is when fans is turned on by ECU. Might be fan circuit is cross-connected to something else.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't reset codes. You want to fix the issues that throws codes. Then codes will go away on their own. What codes did you get?

Also codes DO NOT say sensor is bad. It says that sensor's CIRCUIT is bad. Meaning you must go through manual's testing process for entire CIRCUIT. Test ground wire connection. Test 5v reference voltage to sensor. Test output signal wire to ECU. Sensors are fine since you replaced perfectly-working sensors with brand-new perfectly-working sensors and nothing changed. Do rest of CIRCUIT wire tests according to manual. Most of time, it's broken wires or corroded connectors.

Might also be some other wiring issue. 100C is when fans is turned on by ECU. Might be fan circuit is cross-connected to something else.
So I can't figure out where the fan does plug in because the plug that goes to the coolant temp sensor is the same but still reaches to the fan as well

· Registered
885 Posts
There are MANY connectors that can plug into different places. Match everything up by wire-colours only. Most likely those sensor errors you got were because connectors were plugged into wrong sensor.

Fan 2-wires = blk & blu wires plugs into harness connector with blk/blu & grn wires
ECT sensor 3-wires = grn/blu, pink, grn/orange on harness connector

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've pretty much checked everything I feel like. If anyone has a radical idea or has even gone through this headache please let me know what fixed it. (I've changed- stator, rectifier, battery, temp sensor, ecu, I've checked the tip over sensor, and I've made sure every plug is correct multiple times just for good measures) I am so lost and I just really wanna ride

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. I've replaced the whole charging system. The spark plugs, the TPS, the top fuel rail, the whole throttle body with bottom fuel rail attached to it, the coolant temp sensor, MAP sensor, IACV system, and it still does the exact same thing, it'll run to about 120° and then die, I start it and it will die even faster. I really need a solution to this issue, please anyone with some good experience and good advice see this!

· Super Moderator
11,724 Posts
The clue should be that you've replaced half of the "new" motor but the problem remains. The problem is most likely IN THE WIRING HARNESS. Recheck all your inputs/outputs to each sensor/connector. The ECU seems to be getting the incorrect information. Something in the wiring harness may be swapped or faulty.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The clue should be that you've replaced half of the "new" motor but the problem remains. The problem is most likely IN THE WIRING HARNESS. Recheck all your inputs/outputs to each sensor/connector. The ECU seems to be getting the incorrect information. Something in the wiring harness may be swapped or faulty.
Should I just change the whole wiring harness?

· Super Moderator
11,724 Posts
You can. But will the "new" used wiring harness be any better? Have you traced each circuit from the ECU to each component? Ignore the color code and verify the actual voltage being sent from A to B. I think dannoxyz is on to something when he suggests that something in the wiring harness has gotten switched around. It may also be a corroded or damaged wire causing a false signal to the ECU that's out of range or parameters. Can you post a video of the bike when it does this? Have you watched the battery voltage when it shuts off?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can. But will the "new" used wiring harness be any better? Have you traced each circuit from the ECU to each component? Ignore the color code and verify the actual voltage being sent from A to B. I think dannoxyz is on to something when he suggests that something in the wiring harness has gotten switched around. It may also be a corroded or damaged wire causing a false signal to the ECU that's out of range or parameters. Can you post a video of the bike when it does this? Have you watched the battery voltage when it shuts off?
I don't really know how to test voltage on all the harness plugs. But I'll try to figure it out, I'm think it's the harness connected to the cam position sensor, with the red clip. Also, it won't let me upload a video it says it's the wrong extension

· Super Moderator
11,724 Posts

That link should help. You'll also need a service manual.

· Registered
885 Posts
What's history of this bike?
When did it run perfectly fine last?
What happened between then and now?
Which error codes did you get?

Did you switch all '04 sensors to '03 engine when you swapped engine? It not, do it. Want all matching original components:

• '04 ECU
  • '04 wiring harness
  • '04 everything that's connected to that harness: all sensors ECT, IAT, TPS, MAP, crank-sensor, cam-sensor, O2-sensors if used, all injectors, etc.
Get multimeter and learn how to use to measure voltage, resistance (ohms), and current. This is 5-minute fix with multimeter (or less).

Then follow test-procedures from manual for each of those codes. Usually about 4 different measurements for each one to figure out what's wrong.

Reactions: Timmyboy

· Registered
885 Posts
Plugs?

You want everything that harness plugged into on '04 engine.
You disconnected harness connectors from '04 engine to leave harness on frame right?
Every single part those connectors plugged into on '04 engine should be transferred to '03 engine.

For example, ECT sensor, remove from '04 engine and put on '03 engine on bike.

And IAT sensor that goes into airbox

Repeat for every single component that harness used to connect to on '04 engine.

· Super Moderator
11,724 Posts
Ok thanks man, sorry, when i say plugs i mean connectors
PIN connectors (y) But he's not telling you to rewire the wiring harness by cutting and splicing the PIN connectors. Just move the sensors themselves.

Have you tested your cam pulse generator and your ignition pulse generator when the engine is HOT? Same for the ECT, IAT, and MAP sensors.

Uploading a video to Youtube will allows you to insert a link into this post. You have to host it somewhere besides on the .net server.

· Super Moderator
11,724 Posts
Just brainstorming here...

The problem appears to be temperature related. 120°C (248°F) is when the ECU will shut the bike off due to high coolant temperature. Maybe the electronics are not the problem.

Are you sure your coolant system is functioning correctly? Make sure your fan is turning on at 105°C (221°F). Make sure your thermostat is opening. Feel your hoses when it's warming up. If your return hose coming into the radiator never gets warm the thermostat may not be opening.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts