Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eugene, OR — Last week, a Eugene man was awarded $180,000 by a jury after being run over and attacked by an Oregon State Police officer.

The dashcam video from the attack was also released along with the ruling. In the video, Capt. Rob Edwards, with the OSP, is seen chasing down Justin Wilkens, running his bike over, and then kicking the man so hard that he broke his collarbone.
Article with video

GIF of takedown (not complete, watch video): http://i.imgur.com/TrqPCCF.gifv

·
Registered
829 Posts
The biker definitely was deserving of a ticket and possibly reckless driving, but if he was trying to run I think the straightaways they hit would be indicative of that. He knew he was in trouble when he hit the light and the way the cop slammed his brakes (you can see his front end dip sharply) then let off and rolled into the biker is pretty obvious that "brake fade" was an excuse.

And being exempt from the cost of chest kicking a compliant person after he just knocked him off the bike is total crap. The dude was trying to get down and instinctively tried to dodge the kick and still ended up with those injuries.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Both should be in jail. One striped of his job too

·
Registered
334 Posts
Both were out of line, but the cop should have controlled himself. Cop was in the USMC too...

The biker had no idea he was being followed by a cop due to there not being any lights or siren...can't blame the bike for keeping moving ahead, but his riding was asinine and irresponsible.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There were lights and sirens.

Unmarked just means no vinyl decals on the outside.

Read the article.

Lights in the grill. I'm sure there were more but the writer didn't bother to mention that.

Cop lost his cool and should be dealt with. Rider was oblivious but it's his responsibility to be aware of his surroundings.

This "story" shouldn't be getting so much attention. There's bigger fish to fry out there.

Those injuries sound like an ambulance chaser got ahold of the rider and sweetened the deal.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
It's a weird, emotional thing riding a motorcycle - the immediate, emotional response to a rider riding out a wheelie or otherwise riding recklessly, is quite high. The majority of people (well, non riders) feel that punishment should be severe for these sort of things, but the reality is that a rider is much more a danger to himself than to others - the bike is not heavy enough to do damage to cars and buildings unless the closing rate is extremely high.

In comparison, a person driving a 3 ton SUV while texting with a phone in their lap is far more dangerous to themselves and others, but the emotional response is much lower - it's not as conspicuous as a motorcycle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's a weird, emotional thing riding a motorcycle - the immediate, emotional response to a rider riding out a wheelie or otherwise riding recklessly, is quite high. The majority of people (well, non riders) feel that punishment should be severe for these sort of things, but the reality is that a rider is much more a danger to himself than to others - the bike is not heavy enough to do damage to cars and buildings unless the closing rate is extremely high.

In comparison, a person driving a 3 ton SUV while texting with a phone in their lap is far more dangerous to themselves and others, but the emotional response is much lower - it's not as conspicuous as a motorcycle.
The weight (or lack thereof) of the bike has nothing to do with it. Careless driving is careless driving, regardless of the vehicle you're operating. You can still be the cause of other drivers having reactions to something you do that can cause death and serious injury to them or other vehicles and pedestrians around them. That can happen and be your fault without you even colliding with anyone. If you do collide with someone and you die or get seriously injured, but they happen to walk away without a scratch, now it's on their conscience for the rest of their lives. They may have to live with the fact that they took another person's life, even though it may have been no fault of their own.

TL;DR - being a jackass is being a jackass, no matter what you are driving or riding.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The one who loses his or her emotions is the one that tends to look more guilty, even if defending for the right thing.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Point taken about distracting other drivers. However, getting hit by a Chevy Tahoe is worse than getting hit by a 600RR - that's just math.

Also, doing something that gets you killed does indeed suck for the not at fault party, but let's be honest - you got the worse end of that stick in that case.

I'm just making a statement that people are harsh on bikers and lax on distracted drivers, where the distracted drivers cause more mayhem than riders do, that's all.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The biker rode like an idiot. But I do give him the benefit of the doubt here. Not once did he look in his mirrors, and the way he accelerated and rolled off the gas a couple of times didn't really appear to me as he was trying to get away. It seems to me he simply didn't notice the cop behind him.

Emotions got the better of the cop, and in the moment he probably thought the bike was trying to run.

The kick was really unjustified though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't think the biker rode like an idiot. Broke some rules speeding and passing in none passing lanes but it was nothing squidish. Just a spirited ride on the streets. He definitely was not in a threatening stance after being bumped off the bike. Looks like he was about to try and take his helmet off actually. Not saying either was justified but his riding didn't seem that 'wreckless'.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I don't think the biker rode like an idiot. Broke some rules speeding and passing in none passing lanes but it was nothing squidish..
In my dictionary that means "driving like an idiot"... Which doesn't mean I haven't done it before... But if I do and see the cops, I stop, if they have to fine me, ok then, I was at fault.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts