Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just curious as to why people are SO SCARED to pick up a bike with over 15k on them. These things run forever if you keep em up, even if you rag on them the whole time

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
When I bought mine I was more worried about how the owner treated the bike. I'd like to think that with less miles the owner had less time to mess something up. You can never be 100% sure what kind of maintenance was done by the previous owner.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I am at 25000 miles and it is running better then day one

·
Maynard
7,085 Posts
Mine had 14,997 when I picked it up. Guy said it had 13k... so I got a relatively good deal on her because he gave me wrong info. It has almost 18k less than a year later and runs better because I actually maintain it unlike the previous owner. Typical gixxer squid he was... (yoda voice)

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Possibly because valve clearance check is due at 16k so a prospective owner sees a big bill coming at him straight away.
yeah but a lot of people don't feel the need to actually check them at 16k, and just wait till 32k. My bike is at 22k and I've never had the valve clearances checked (actually planning on doing it this weekend though since I'm changing plugs)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
8k on the clock when I bought mine, almost 27k now. Never had a single issue.
Track, street and mountain riding.
Valves checked at 17k and everything was within spec.
It's not that hard of a job to check, just a bit tedius.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's because they're usually wrecked or tracked by the time they get over 10K. Other thing is people don't have time or lose interest within a few years after owning a bike that you'll see low mileage and they want to sell.

A friend of mine who's a car dealer would say the same thing a bike with 10K is too much. I just shook my head.

·
Super Moderator
2,396 Posts
When I sold my last RR I didn't have that problem. The bike had over 50k miles on it and I got an email within 5 minutes of posting it on craigslist. Dude paid my asking price and didn't try to make me come down any. What a sucker!

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That was a smokin deal, wish I could find that. I feel like I did good with mine. Two years ago I got my 05 with 16k on it, front and rear stands, leather jacket, gloves, boots, 3 helmets, extra set of brake pads, transport strap, and cover for $3600

·
Registered
54 Posts
One thing that is important about the perception of "high miles'" In New York where there is a limited amount of riding months 15k is seen as really high, but in Florida, Texas or Cali 15k is just getting broken in. The other morbid reality is that most bikes are crashed before they can reach even higher numbers.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts