Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
This makes me feel great about my bike. I bought it with 20k miles and everyone said I was crazy cause that mileage was really high. I thought to my self there is no way 20k is a lot. I have some uncles that ride Harley's that go further than 20k and if a harley can do that then I know a HONDA can go 5 times further than that.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
maybe sticking my head out but i believe that most guys over service these machines. my owners manual says oil change every 12000km. the local Honda dealer says, no no becuase of the warm dusty conditions, every 6000km. most guys on here says no, every 4000km (converted from miles).

personally i think that:
* since i do NO track days
* my engine hardly ever exceeds 10000rpm
* i commute daily

it will last longer than i need it to, even on oil changes every 6000km.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
maybe sticking my head out but i believe that most guys over service these machines. my owners manual says oil change every 12000km. the local Honda dealer says, no no becuase of the warm dusty conditions, every 6000km. most guys on here says no, every 4000km (converted from miles).

personally i think that:
* since i do NO track days
* my engine hardly ever exceeds 10000rpm
* i commute daily

it will last longer than i need it to, even on oil changes every 6000km.
That makes sense and is perfectly reasonable. The number one factor for oil frequency intervals is how hard you ride it, followed by the environment you ride in.

·
Registered
966 Posts
back in the day Nick Sanders did his first round the world record thing on a Triumph Daytona. when the bike clocked up 250,000 miles the factory bought it back off him and stripped the engine. you could still see the hone marks. there was no appreciable wear.
Engines don't fail because of blow by or loss of compression which is what bore wear causes, they fail when a bearing lets go, or a piston comes apart. Thats a failure. Wearing out from use is just that, wear. Yes, we all have stories of things living much longer then anyone else gets from them. I get 10,000 miles from pilot pure rear tires, doesn't mean thats normal or expected.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Really puts my 12.5k to shame... but then again, I've only had my RR for 7mo and glad to see threads like this that remind me as long as I take care of her, she'll be around for a looooonnnngggg time!

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
I bought my 06 last July with 24K on it. Has 27K now and runs just fine. Getting ready to do an oil change in a few hundred more miles.

·
2,862 Posts
I've only put about 3k miles on mine too! Must not be your DD huh?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I got it in late july and did not get the title until about a week and a half later so I was into Aug at that point and rode until mid Oct so the riding season was short. Ive already put on a few hundred so far this year I was able to start riding a few weeks ago. Going for 5k this year, should be able to do it. Its still to cold to ride to work here in the mornings its still in the 30's - 40's when I leave. Wont be until May before I can ride to work ( I leave pretty early ) Spring has been very slow to make the corner and to see some really nice temps, its been struggling to hit 60's here ( those are the best days so far ) still no 70's + yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dang thats crazy, I commute from Palmdale to Westlake Village every day. I bought my bike with 430 miles on it and I will have had it for a year in May and I am at 27,000 miles now. Bike is still running strong the day that I bought it. I love these Honda's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bike and cars is make to drive and ride. If you are buying a bike and just want to let it seat in the house then what's the point? I never understood people buying bike and only ride one every 4 months? If you are spent the money on either new or used bike. Enjoy it and ride it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I live in Colorado so there are only 4 months where I can ride, or it gets dangerous

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have 19k on my track bike. I won't be doing any engine mods, or rebuilds , or anything of any sort other than basic maintenance such as oil changes. I ride in a group now, and will be racing soon. I'm curious to see how much of a beating this motor will take before it goes. This will be my only bike, so I'm gonna ride it till it don't ride no more! Then buy an r6! Lol.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Wow didn't realize bikes can last and run easily over 80K miles. I bought a 2004 cbr 600rr at 29K, so I guess I don't have to worry too much about the mileage. Thanks for sharing.

How about 250,000+ miles?

You are a very long way away from your bike failing, unless you don't treat it with respect.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My mate has a honda cb500 with 88'000 miles on and still runs perfect. I sold my 07 hornet with 28'000 miles on and still rode like new.
I'd have no issues buying a bike with higher than what's normal miles aslong as it has history of oil changes and services. They literally run forever.

·
2,862 Posts
Bike and cars is make to drive and ride. If you are buying a bike and just want to let it seat in the house then what's the point? I never understood people buying bike and only ride one every 4 months? If you are spent the money on either new or used bike. Enjoy it and ride it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
There's this thing called winter that effects a large number of riders in the north east and northern part of the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would like to light a fire under this forum. I have an '08 600RR (almost 12 years old now, hard to believe!) with 40k, thing runs incredibly well and I ride pretty hard, wheelies and all that. Plus I've installed a +1 front sprocket so I'm running higher rpms than usual on freeway and stuff. I did the valves at 32k (double what Honda suggests) and ALL the valves were still within spec. I of course changed some of them to put them on the other side of the spectrum so they'll last but half of them I couldn't even improve the spacing with the shims I had. I'm sure I could take it to 60 or 70k easy without doing them again. I'd say keep up on oil/filter, spark plugs, and run it regularly and she'll be in it for the long run. Bikes don't like to sit ya know! And if you do any exhaust modifications, be sure to get a bazazz/pcv or something to correct the fuel ratio cause I've had a spark plug blow out of my cylinder head on my '05 after running it uber lean for 20k miles LOL Amazing bikes though, from 03-12 they are just AAA quality. I fuckin cried when I heard the 600RR was gonna be discontinued thanks to Europe, but it seems they've kept it in NA for now. I've heard some bad stuff about the later models cause of Honda outsourcing its manufacturing to Indonesia or something like that. Could anyone shed some light on that and whether they've been able to stack the miles on 2013+ models?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Owned 2006 CBR600RR at 57K miles and got stolen. Owned 2009 600RR with 56K miles and it broke because I attempted to do valve adjustment. This is entirely my own fault. No clutch had to replaced and no suspension work either. Both bikes have been tracked anywhere from 1-3 track days a year. Not a single mechanical problem. In fact, my '09 - 30,000+ miles felt much more positive than a friend's 2009 bike at 4,500 miles. I'm not being biased. They are his words. Honda built their bikes like a tank, nothing to worry.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts