Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching the forum for reviews on this but can't seem to find anything so apologies if this is been mentioned before.

I'm looking to either buy a Revit GT leather jacket (http://www.rev-it.co.uk/item3535.htm) it's about £250 (i'm in the UK) though i'm torn between that or buying one of those bionic suits which i can put any jacket over.

The purpose isn't for track use more for my day to day riding and commuting to work but i want something a bit better then my textile jacket.

If i go for the bionic option it's this that i'm looking at the Forcefield Action Shirt (http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.uk/shirt.asp) with the extra back protector (http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.uk/back_protector_sport.asp) totalling about £250.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'd go w/ the Rev-it leather jacket. The leather is there to protect you from abrasion if you should fall. Plus there is built in armor in the shoulders/elbows.

The Forcefield product you're referring to, explicitly states it is an undergarment, not an exterior jacket. So you'll end up purchasing either a leather jacket or another textile jacket on top of what you spend on the undergarment. So since you estimated you would get this Forcefield product + back protector, any additional jacket you purchase will exceed your £250 budget.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Definitely a leather jacket. The armor that fits under any jacket will only be good for impacts. Any sliding you might do will go right thru a regular jacket leaving you exposed to road rash. Besides, a good leather jacket will have shoulder, elbow and back protection already, although the back protectors aren't as good as the one you mentioned. I have a bunch of friends that routinely ride with a separate back protector under their jackets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice!

Just out of interest has anyone tried the Forcefield shirt? Does it get too hot to wear during summer seasons?

I think i'll get the leather though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could also get a textile Jacket; which can be adjusted with a liner to make it warmer, waterproof etc. but still maintains the safety of a leather (for the first fall anyways). I have a leather jacket with CE rated armor, it does get quite warm during the summer months when stuck in traffic, but on the highway with the vents open its just great. Safety first

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Go for the jacket.

When I first started riding I thought I'd have greater protection by wearing one of those armored suits. I purchased the Dainese Wave V1 Neck for $469. I've only used it a handful of times. I've never crashed in it, so I wouldn't know how it would hold up. As with you, I had the idea that I would purchase it and wear it under ANY jacket, but that is actually pretty hard to do - it's pretty bulky.

This is what I have:

I think the armor itself is very protective, but as the other members said, if I were to slide on the asphalt for a few feet.

The Action Shirt you chose seems to be a lot less bulky than the Dainese one, it's an actual under shirt unlike the Dainese one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could also get a textile Jacket; which can be adjusted with a liner to make it warmer, waterproof etc. but still maintains the safety of a leather (for the first fall anyways). I have a leather jacket with CE rated armor, it does get quite warm during the summer months when stuck in traffic, but on the highway with the vents open its just great. Safety first
I already have a textile jacket which i used to wear on my CBR 125 though now that i've upgrade to the 600RR i would like something with a bit more style but still with a high level of protection.

I think the leather is the way to go, thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go for the jacket.

When I first started riding I thought I'd have greater protection by wearing one of those armored suits. I purchased the Dainese Wave V1 Neck for $469. I've only used it a handful of times. I've never crashed in it, so I wouldn't know how it would hold up. As with you, I had the idea that I would purchase it and wear it under ANY jacket, but that is actually pretty hard to do - it's pretty bulky.

The Action Shirt you chose seems to be a lot less bulky than the Dainese one, it's an actual under shirt unlike the Dainese one.
Yeah from what i've heard the armor won't fit very well with all jackets meaning i'll have to buy another jacket anyways to accommodate it. I've bought the back protector now, now just trying to find the right price for the jacket.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts