Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this black stuff on the throttle body in each of the four holes. It's only on the flapper that faces the rear.
Seems to be very thin, i couldnt reach my finger in there to touch it and didnt have anything to clean it with either.

Any ideas what it might be or what is causing it?

https://i.imgur.com/TWDpg1Q.jpg

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,893 Posts
it's on both sides, you just don't see the other side because it's on the under side.

it's there to seal the throttles. at idle the plates should be shut, and the idle air goes through the idle control circuit.

they put this paint on the plates, let it dry, then break it, it allows the butterflies to properly seal. if you clean it off your bike won't idle properly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's on both sides, you just don't see the other side because it's on the under side.

it's there to seal the throttles. at idle the plates should be shut, and the idle air goes through the idle control circuit.

they put this paint on the plates, let it dry, then break it, it allows the butterflies to properly seal. if you clean it off your bike won't idle properly.
Do you know if this applies to other bikes like a 2015 r6?

I was helping a friend change his spark plugs and his throttle body didn't have any markings like mine. His idle once it hits around 100F-120F drops from 1.5k to 1k RPM and bounces between the two.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,893 Posts
no idea. i would imagine other manufacturers do something similar in some way anyway.

i doubt your friend's bike was screwed with. probably something else. funny idles are a very common symptom of a lot of different problems.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
interesting...

It's strange though how honda use paint in such a botchy way to seal a very important component of engine control system, especially with all the movement and vibration over there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts