Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an all black 600RR. I have all kinds of small light scratches in the tank from my jacket rubbing against it. What can I use to get the light scratches out? What other type of polishing products do you guys use to keep your black bikes looking new?

Thanks

H

·
0 Posts
i used a few coats of silver paint. followed by a few coats of clear coat..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think wax in the answer …..I neet to remove scratches…not just fill the scratches with wax. I was thinking about Meguires fine cut cleaner…or some kind of light rubbing compound.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
dubtastic_kaos said:
Plexus works better than Honda Polish... Well I thinks so anyways...Thats what I use and the bike comes out looking brand new....
True plexus does work better in my opinion to. It will take out small scatches here and there. For scratches on the tank I use Turtle wax "clear coat polish" which takes out swirls pretty well. Then I go over that with Meguiars liquid wax which also helps take out swirls. I would try some of that stuff first before going to an actual "compound", as I think that the turtle wax is way less abrasive than even the smallest grit compound. I also have some of that fine cut cleaner but have not used it yet.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
wax, turtle wax, or maguirs, whichever i borrow on the day i wash.
i used to use 3M scratch remover polish on my car, that thing works.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a few light scratches too. I use Honda polish and it cleans it up pretty good but does not remove scratches. Your best bet is to stop by a professional detailer's shop or body shop and get him to buff the clear coat. They have speacial compounds that they use specifically for this. I saw a guy do a faded red car. And i mean this thing was faded to a flat red (almost pinkish) When he was done with one area you would not believe the shine. It was like brand new. Deep red, no swirls. He probably could have passed it off as a new paint job. Don't know what a guy would charge to do that but it's worth checking out.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
The wax doesn't remove the scratches but it does make them much less noticable. If they're bad use some rubbing compound and then a good coat of wax. Always clean/buff in back and forth motions. Not in circles. And keep the direction the same time after time.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sounds strange but I use lemon pledge and one of my wifes magic cloths and I have never scratched my blacks yet and it shines it up like new. Also the bugs come off easier and the water beads off if you get caught up in some rain.

Oh yah it smells pretty too.hahaa

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
homerjay4242 said:
i used a few coats of silver paint. followed by a few coats of clear coat..
On a black bike... :sign10:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
bw1128 said:
scratch x.........
I used that stuff before... Works pretty good for a few months then doesn't work anymore. I tried to apply again and didn't do that good of job compared to the first.

·
Registered
194 Posts
screw the scratches - it's a bike not limited edition box toy - besides, it gives characther. my solution would be "track" fairings - but for that i need a year or so - then another color bike :-D i love blakc but it's such a mission to keep it sparkly :-(

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm with ZARR, partly because no matter what you do your going to get the scratches back and I'm too lazy to try and keep a bike spotless. Heck it gets dirty just sitting in my garage. There are so many scratches on my tank I would probably have to repaint the thing and throw like 5 coats of clear to kee the scratches at bay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts